Wiley is a leader in guiding clients through the laws and regulations governing the space and satellite industry. Over the last two decades, our team has achieved innovative and impressive results, successfully challenging laws, clarifying rules, and representing clients in precedent-setting matters and game-changing transactions that have transformed the field.
As uses, technologies, and business models change in the New Space Age, we ensure that our clients stay ahead of the curve so they can achieve their business goals without worrying about regulatory pitfalls. We are truly in the nexus of the global space industry, where our clients’ business operations are affected by an international matrix of government agencies whose dominion may impact everything from spectrum allocation to launch authority to space safety.
What we do.
The space industry is reinventing itself. Satellites are ever-smaller, more numerous, hovering closer to Earth, privately operated and launched, and deployed for a host of new purposes that were unimaginable a decade ago. From providing internet connectivity to pictures of the Earth, this emerging generation of satellites presents new legal and regulatory challenges in the brave new world orbiting over our heads. Our premier services in this area include:
- Broadband internet access: We helped a client secure one of the first approvals from the FCC for the provision of broadband internet access service from a constellation of low-Earth orbit satellites.
- New market entrants: We obtain access to frequency bands, manage corporate regulatory issues, and advise on best space industry practices to help our clients meet their objectives as well as to maximize effectiveness of their technologies.
- Spectrum: We ensure our clients help drive spectrum policy both domestically and internationally.
- Imaging and remote sensing: We obtain approvals and navigate national security concerns associated with spacecraft capable of imaging and remote sensing.
- Investment and transactions: We guide clients through complex ownership issues and help procure regulatory approval for mergers, acquisitions and investments.
- Aeronautical and mobile: We help clients obtain authorizations for the provision of two-way communications services onboard aircraft and other vessels.
Why we are different.
While space is boundless, it’s also extensively regulated – on matters ranging from the growing risk of orbital debris to the assignment of launch rights to the ability to photograph Earth from orbit. The rapid development of new technologies has resulted in increasingly complex regulatory frameworks. We help satellite clients navigate this earthbound labyrinth, in keeping with their strategic priorities, business objectives, and operational capabilities.
In addition to our leading attorneys, we have extraordinary in-house engineers who assist our clients with bridging the gap between technologies and the laws and regulations that govern them. Our interdisciplinary team serves as legal counsel, strategic partner, and technological interpreter, acting in general as a tactical liaison between our clients and policymakers. To help ensure our clients can operate satellites and related technologies wherever, whenever, and however they need to, we work daily on their behalf before regulatory and policymaking bodies around the world, including:
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- International Telecommunication Union (ITU)
We have advocated for our clients on every imaginable satellite-related issue, including sustainability, materials sourcing, national security, mitigation of space debris, collision avoidance, spectrum allocation, and more. We also provide valuation, analysis, and corporate advice for clients involved in satellite-related transactions and financings. If the financial implications of regulations, market conditions, or technological changes are likely to affect a potential transaction, we help anticipate and quantify it. Our unique global credentials, relationships, and reputation in this area are unmatched and provide a major competitive advantage for our clients.
- Blockchain Technology
- Communications Enforcement & Compliance
- Digital Trade
- International & Internet
- Internet of Things
- Pole Attachment and Infrastructure Deployment Litigation and Counseling
- Space and Satellite
- Telephony & Information Technology
- The Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA)
- TMT Transactions
- Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)
Related News & Insights
- EventEngineering & Technical and International Committees Brown Bag LunchJanuary 15, 2020
- AlertBeam Me Down, Scotty: Navigating U.S. Authorization for Space Station TransmissionsNovember 15, 2019
- AlertFCC Adopts New Rules for Small Satellite LicensingAugust 5, 2019
- PodcastSATELLITE 2019: A Discussion on IoT, Emerging Technology, and the Future of the Satellite IndustryJune 11, 2019