Jen is a partner in Wiley's Telecom, Media & Technology Practice and chair of our Space and Satellite Group. She advises communications and technology companies on domestic and international regulatory, policy, and transactional matters. She focuses on the licensing and operation of space stations, earth stations, undersea cables, and international telecommunications providers. Her representation includes some of the largest and most successful satellite operators, telecommunications providers, and network operators. She helps clients navigate a highly complex, cross-jurisdictional regulatory environment on issues such as spectrum sharing, space safety, national security, and foreign investment.
She is a contributing author and an industry source in several publications, including SatelliteFinance and the USA Chapter in the International Comparative Legal Guide to Telecoms, Media & Internet Laws & Regulations 2017.
- Advises on domestic and international telecommunications matters pending before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), U.S. Congress, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and International Telecommunication Union (ITU).
- Develops strategy on a wide range of communications issues including licensing, foreign ownership, national security, and access to spectrum.
- Understands orbital slot, frequency use, satellite network coordination, and operational aspects of the satellite services industry.
- Secures FCC approval for mergers and public and private equity transactions involving regulated communications companies.
- Reviews commercial documents to ensure client interests are fully protected and counsels clients on structuring, financing, and other transactions.
- Assists satellite clients with orbital debris mitigation; first-come, first-served processing of satellite applications; milestone compliance; replacement expectancies; ancillary terrestrial rights; network outage; and required regulatory reports.
- Obtains cable landing licenses and advises on commercial agreements related to the construction and operation of undersea cables.
- Obtains licenses from NOAA for Earth imaging satellites and other land remote-sensing space systems, and counsels clients on compliance with administrative and operational control requirements and privacy restrictions on access to data.
- Navigates national security issues arising from NOAA licensees entering into foreign agreements and the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) and Team Telecom review of foreign investments in U.S. communications companies.
- Serves as a consultant to governments and non-U.S. communications regulatory agencies on privatization, liberalization, and effective regulation of global telecommunications markets.
- Advises regulated communications companies on the applicability of and compliance with FCC rules and, when necessary, ensures satisfactory resolution of FCC enforcement proceedings.
- Represents established and emerging operators of global fixed satellite service (FSS), mobile satellite service (MSS), satellite radio service, direct broadcast satellite service (DBS), broadband Internet access, and Earth imaging satellite service.
- Junior Fellow, New York University, Center for International Studies (1995-1996)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- Co-Chair, International Telecommunications Committee (2002-2005, 2009-2012)
- Women’s Bar Association of the District of Columbia (WBA)
- Co-Chair, Communications Practice Group (2001-2002)
- Recognized as one of Washington, D.C.’s “Trailblazers” by The National Law Journal (2020)
- Named by Law360 as a Telecommunications MVP (2017)
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America directory for Communications Law (2015-2021)
- Named one of DC’s “Super Lawyers” for Communications by Super Lawyers magazine (2012-2020)
- Recognized by The Legal 500 US in Telecom and Broadcast Transactional (2013, 2016-2019) and Regulatory (2014, 2016-2017, 2020-2021) Law
J.D., cum laude, New York University School of Law
B.S.F.S., Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, Georgetown University
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York Bar
Related News & Insights
- Press ReleaseLegal 500 US Recognizes 44 Wiley Lawyers Across Seven Practice Areas NationallyJune 11, 2021
- EventCommercial Remote Sensing Satellites Enable Climate ActionSatellite Industry Association (SIA)May 13, 2021
- AlertWhite House Issues Space Policy Directive on CybersecurityMegan L. Brown, Jennifer D. Hindin, Jodi A. Goldberg, Madeleine M. LottenbachSeptember 8, 2020
- Press ReleaseJennifer Hindin Named 2020 ‘Washington, D.C. Trailblazer’ by The National Law JournalSeptember 1, 2020