One of the largest, most sophisticated and diverse practices nationally, our team represents all sectors of the media industry.
What we do.
The marketplace for media content and distribution is changing at an unparalleled pace. Our team partners with media players so that they survive and thrive in an environment where regulation, legislation, and the courts often fail to clearly address the implications of new technology. Bridging the gap between forward-thinking operations and an unclear or ambiguous operational legal and regulatory framework requires exceptionally knowledgeable, innovative, and proactive legal thinking. Our attorneys are renowned for their knowledge in guiding clients through the labyrinth of federal, state, and other agencies whose charter affects their enterprises. We provide regulatory counsel to radio and television broadcasters, for whom we have worked for decades, as well as content creators and distributors, news organizations, financial institutions and investors, and equipment manufacturers. Our attorneys have always been, and continue to be, leaders in helping clients anticipate, advocate, and navigate the FCC legal and regulatory issues of this rapidly changing industry. We have an unparalleled understanding of the playing field, and we look beyond earlier precedents into the future to strategically help our clients influence, navigate, and anticipate what’s coming around the corner.
We also represent clients at the forefront of new technologies, business models, and platforms – including content creation, audio and video streaming, fiber optics, social media, high-speed data services, and the latest wireless data transmission technologies. Our team has earned a reputation for handling a full range of all FCC regulatory matters, including obtaining the governmental approvals required for M&A, financings, and restructurings. While we are recognized for deep experience in FCC policy matters, with routine involvement in the most cutting-edge of rulemaking proceedings, our expertise and connections extend well within other agencies that impact the media industry, such as the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). Whether it speaks to valuation, potential conflicts, or regulatory hurdles, our firsthand knowledge of the DC regulatory landscape is an invaluable asset to our clients, many of whom we have represented for more than three decades, and who consider us to be their trusted business partners and tactical advisors to their strategic plans.
Why we are different.
Our team has served as “go-to” counsel on scores of high-stakes media transactions and regulatory matters for some of the largest companies in the world, as well as innovative startups. As a top team in the country, the volume of media matters we handle annually allows us to develop a deep and diversified understanding of the multifaceted issues involved, all with the practical needs of our clients in mind. This depth of knowledge enables us to deliver legal and policy services to our clients more efficiently, because we don’t have to “reinvent the wheel” every time we undertake a new matter. In addition, we have daily contact at all levels of the FCC, thus navigating and advocating positions for our clients, participating in the most cutting-edge rulemaking proceedings, and providing clients with strategic insights and information that could impact their business.
- With long-standing government relationships, we can call someone in virtually any agency that impacts the media industry to get our clients the answers they need when questions or uncertainties arise.
- Our lawyers have been appointed to FCC and FTC advisory committees, sought out for speaking engagements on numerous panels, and invited to testify in front of Congress. This combination of access and insight is invaluable to our clients.
- Our team represents media companies, from the largest to the smallest nationally, on a whole range of issues each and every year in connection with some of the most complicated FCC and FTC issues. Given the breadth of our client base and the volume of matters we handle, our deep bench of talented junior associates has significant experience and add real value to clients at lower rates.
As practitioners we strive to be strategists, to stay ahead of the curve, and to serve as a resource for our clients looking for meaningful advice and practical answers.
Our areas of focus include:
- Mergers, Acquisitions, Restructurings, and other Media Sector Transactions
- FCC Regulation
- Media Ownership
- Multichannel Video Programming Distribution
- Content Acquisition and Licensing
- Content Regulation
- Newsgathering and First Amendment
- Advertising and Marketing
- Broadcast Technical Facilities and Engineering
- Closed Captioning, Video Description, and Equipment Accessibility
- Contests and Sweepstakes
- Copyright and Trademark
- Music Licensing
- Digital Technologies
- Cyber, Privacy, and Information Security
- Public Policy
Our representative clients include:
- Nexstar Media Group
- Gray Television
- Alpha Media
- National Association of Broadcasters
- Salem Media Group
- Radio Television Digital News Association
- Estrella Media
- Emmis Communications
- New York Public Radio
- J.P. Morgan
- California Oregon Broadcasting
- American Public Media Group
- Virginia Public Media
- Urban One
- Goldman Sachs
- LG Electronics
- Blockchain and Digital Assets
- Communications Enforcement & Compliance
- Connected & Autonomous Vehicles
- Digital Trade
- International & Internet
- Internet of Things
- Pole Attachment and Infrastructure Deployment Litigation and Counseling
- Space and Satellite
- Team Telecom
- Telecommunications & Broadband Service
- The Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA)
- TMT Appellate
- TMT Transactions
- Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)
Related News & Insights
- AlertFebruary 1, 2022 FCC EEO Deadlines for Stations in AR, LA, MS, KS, NE, OK, NJ, and NYJanuary 6, 2022Kathleen A. Kirby, Joan Stewart
- AlertFebruary Television License Renewal and Announcements Reminder: KS, NE, & OKJanuary 4, 2022Kathleen A. Kirby, Joan Stewart, Stephen J. Conley
- AlertFebruary Radio License Renewal and Announcements Reminder: NJ & NYJanuary 4, 2022Kathleen A. Kirby, Joan Stewart, Stephen J. Conley
- AlertDecember 1, 2021 FCC EEO Deadlines for Stations in AL, GA, CO, MN, MT, ND, SD, CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, and VTNovember 12, 2021Kathleen A. Kirby, Joan Stewart