Wiley is uniquely positioned to serve clients in the emerging area of Connected & Autonomous Vehicles. Wiley’s Wireless Practice is a leader in the area of connected devices, helping clients develop “bring to market,” licensing, and compliance strategies for connected devices of all kinds. In the Connected & Autonomous Vehicles area, the firm’s Wireless expertise is complemented by experience before all federal agencies with interest in this area, including the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Department of Transportation (DOT)/National Highway Safety Transportation Administration (NHSTA), Federal Trade Commission (FTC), National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), and Department of Commerce (DOC)/National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA). Litigation, State agency and legislative support are also part of our seamless offering.
Wiley attorneys can provide assistance in the areas of:
- Data Privacy – advising regarding the collection, use and disclosure of customer data, including Personally Identifiable Information and Customer Propriety Network Information, and the use of such data in marketing and customer outreach activities.
- Cybersecurity – complying with and shaping regulatory requirements and industry best practices for the protection of critical systems, including vehicle control systems, and development of cybersecurity practices and regulations in emerging areas.
- Law Enforcement Access to Customer Data – responding to government requests for data at all domestic levels – federal, state, and local – and from foreign governments.
- Spectrum Access – securing access to spectrum resources, including licensed and unlicensed, necessary to operate new services; new spectrum allocations; and waivers and rule changes to facilitate new uses of existing allocations.
- Telematics – advising regarding licensing and regulation of traffic safety and vehicle monitoring, including in-vehicle systems and “smart highway” and collision-avoidance infrastructure.
- Telecommunications and Wireless Regulation – strategy development and risk management regarding connected car business models – including carrier, MVNO, and white-labeling models. We work to reduce regulatory exposure that may arise depending on how in-vehicle communications services are offered and sold.
- Disability Access – counsel regarding disability access obligations arising from vehicle “infotainment systems,” WiFi hot spots, and app stores.
- Standard Setting – navigating domestic and international standards setting bodies to advance the development of new product and service offerings.
- Preemption/State Dealer Protection Laws – strategy development in support of national product offerings, including addressing potentially restrictive local laws and regulations.
- Copyright and Access Issues – strategy development to protect copyright and access control.
- Regulatory Mapping for Global Product Offerings – mapping regulations applicable to global product offerings in various jurisdictions either independently or, where necessary, with our network of partnering foreign counsel.
- Responding to government inquiries – evaluating and responding to formal and informal requests from agencies and Congress, including about security and privacy concerns.
- Blockchain Technology
- Communications Enforcement & Compliance
- Connected & Autonomous Vehicles
- Digital Trade
- International & Internet
- Internet of Things
- Pole Attachment and Infrastructure Deployment Litigation and Counseling
- Space and Satellite
- Team Telecom
- Telephony & Information Technology
- The Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA)
- TMT Appellate
- TMT Transactions
- Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)
Federal Agency Capabilities
Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
Department of Transportation (DOT)
National Highway Safety Transportation Administration (NHSTA)
Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
Department of Commerce (DOC)
National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA)
National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
Related News & Insights
- Press ReleaseAnna Gomez Co-Moderates FCBA Women’s History Month Event Featuring Government Agency LeadersMarch 29, 2021Anna M. Gomez
- EventGetting Your City Ready to be Smart and Safe: Understanding 5G, Edge Computing, Smart X and FiberInternet Wireless Communications Expo (IWCE) 2020 Connecting Critical CommunicationsAugust 27, 2020Anna M. Gomez
- Blog PostSatellites and Connected VehiclesWiley ConnectApril 25, 2019Scott D. Delacourt
- Blog PostOn the Move in 2019: ATSC 3.0 and Connected CarsWileyConnectFebruary 14, 2019John M. Burgett