The legal and regulatory landscape of artificial intelligence (AI) is evolving quickly. AI technology uses large data sets to learn to solve problems and perform advanced tasks. AI is already being deployed across a range of industries and use cases – including for fraud and cyber risk detection, supply chain management, virtual assistants, facial recognition, content curation, health care decision-making, and deployment of autonomous and semi-autonomous vehicles.
Our AI practice advises clients on how to navigate the regulatory risks and complex legal issues surrounding AI, both in the United States and abroad, including:
- Analyzing legal risks and compliance obligations from federal and state privacy laws that implicate AI and algorithmic decision-making.
- Evaluating and developing corporate principles and best practices for implementing AI.
- Assessing pending legislative developments related to AI, algorithmic decision-making, and specialized areas such as facial recognition technology.
- Advising on use of AI and advanced data analytics in sector-specific areas such as financial services, including applicability of fair lending laws and the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
- Developing advocacy strategies for AI regulatory approaches.
Our team has extensive experience working with international regulatory agencies, and with key domestic agencies such as the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) at the U.S. Department of Commerce. We are deeply familiar with the technology, we regularly speak and write about cutting-edge issues in AI regulation, and we have experience working on these issues inside the government.
The key issues on which we advise include:
- Explainability and transparency requirements
- Concerns with potential algorithmic biases
- Disclosure obligations
- Privacy and consent obligations
- Cybersecurity concerns
Our interdisciplinary team also brings top-flight expertise in government contracts, intellectual property, international trade, and other areas where AI technology is on the cutting edge. We help clients implement proactive strategies to enable AI technology to be used beneficially while navigating legal challenges.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Blockchain and Digital Assets
- Connected & Autonomous Vehicles
- Cyber Insurance
- Digital Health
- GDPR and Global Privacy
- Privacy Investigations and Enforcement
- The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and the California Consumer Privacy Rights and Enforcement Act (CPRA)
- Transactional Support and Due Diligence on Privacy and Cybersecurity
Related News & Insights
- NewsletterLatest Changes at FTC Will Drive Federal Action on Privacy, Data Security, and AIPrivacy In FocusSeptember 2021Duane C. Pozza, Stephen J. Conley
- NewsletterAI Risk Management Framework Is Among Emerging Federal Initiatives on AIPrivacy In FocusSeptember 2021Duane C. Pozza, Kathleen E. Scott, Kyle M. Gutierrez
- EventImplementing AI Governance: An International PerspectiveWileyJuly 27, 2021Duane C. Pozza, Kathleen E. Scott
- NewsletterNew at the FTC: Agency Forges Ahead Even As Supreme Court Curbs AuthorityPrivacy In FocusMay 2021Duane C. Pozza, Kathleen E. Scott