Wiley’s Public Policy Group provides clients technical expertise and high-level advocacy while leveraging the legal resources of a national law firm. With more than 260 lawyers available to assist our efforts, the Public Policy Group is an industry-leading advocate for trade associations, startups, publicly traded companies, and small and large businesses that operate in the areas of telecommunications, health care, energy, transportation, and international trade. The Group has worked closely with members of Congress in both parties, members of the Executive branch, and federal regulators on issues involving the:
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA);
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA);
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC);
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA);
- U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA);
- U.S. Department of Commerce (DOC);
- U.S. Department of Defense (DOD);
- U.S. Department of Energy (DOE);
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS);
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS);
- U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) (including the Surface Transportation Board); and
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
The strength of our Public Policy Group is in our experience and the breadth and depth of our practice. When counseling a client, we rely upon a detailed understanding of the subject matter based on years of Capitol Hill experience. Longstanding relationships with decision-makers are invaluable when it comes to evaluating the prospects for passage of legislation and anticipating political trends. Wiley professionals excel at educating policy-makers on the impact of pending legislation and proposed agency rules. We use those tools to help clients craft a profile on the Hill and cultivate a base of support in Congress, the Executive branch, and among key regulatory agencies. We also have at our disposal the legal knowledge to draft legislation, position papers, congressional testimony, and a network of relationships necessary to consolidate industry-wide coalitions.
Wiley offers services in an array of areas:
- Creating a profile and base of support in Congress;
- Opening lines of communication with federal agencies;
- Advocating client positions with members of Congress and Administration officials;
- Monitoring and analyzing legislative and regulatory developments; and
- Counseling clients on Legislative and Executive branch trends and likely positions of key decision makers.
- Assisting clients in developing a public policy strategy and counseling clients on how to communicate with the media, public policy makers in Congress, and the Administration; and
- Counseling clients on anticipating and responding to proposed actions by Congress, the Executive branch, and regulatory agencies.
- Drafting position papers, legislation, and congressional testimony;
- Preparing witnesses for congressional testimony;
- Providing advice on grassroots lobbying programs;
- Negotiating legislative proposals; and
- Leading industry-wide coalition building.
Our approach of combining policy, business, and legal expertise has produced success for our clients that has spanned eight presidential administrations. We are confident our lawyers and policy experts can help clients achieve their public policy goals.
Related News & Insights
- EventThe View from the Hill—Legislative Priorities in 2022 and BeyondFederal Communications Bar Association (FCBA) Annual SeminarApril 2, 2022Hap Rigby
- EventHow Does the Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act (UFLPA) Affect Your Company?January 13, 2022Timothy C. Brightbill, Nova J. Daly, Hon. Nazak Nikakhtar, Maureen E. Thorson
- AlertU.S. House HEROES Act and the Road AheadMay 15, 2020Hap Rigby
- EventCompliance Workshop: Online and Social Media Compliance for PAC and GrassrootsPublic Affairs CouncilSeptember 17, 2019Lee E. Goodman