Paul counsels clients on international trade and U.S. national security issues. He represents clients in international trade litigation proceedings and advises clients on foreign investment review, industrial security, economic sanctions, and export control matters.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Paul served as a legal assistant at Wiley from 2015-2020. In that role, he provided legal and government affairs support to Wiley’s International Trade, Telecom, Media & Technology, and Public Policy practices.
- Represents clients across diverse industries – including steel, glass, and renewable energy products – in trade remedies litigation before the U.S. Department of Commerce (DOC) and the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC).
- Advises and represents U.S. and international companies in all phases of national security reviews before the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS).
- Assists companies in complying with economic sanctions programs administered by the U.S. Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), and U.S. export controls administered by the Commerce Department’s Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) and the State Department’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC).
- Provides guidance on compliance with the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA).
- Office of U.S. Representative Jim Himes
- Junior Legislative Aide (2014-2015)
- Outreach Coordinator (2013-2014)
- Staff Assistant (2011-2013)
- American Society of International Law
- Society for International Affairs
- Wiley Pro Bono Champion (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
J.D., Antonin Scalia Law School at George Mason University
B.A., University of Connecticut
Articles Editor, George Mason University Civil Rights Law Journal
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of International Trade
Related News & Insights
- AlertNew U.S. Sanctions and Export Restrictions Target Professional Services and Russia’s Media, Banking, Defense, and Industrial SectorsLori E. Scheetz, John R. Shane, Hon. Nazak Nikakhtar, Paul J. CoyleMay 11, 2022
- AlertBiden Administration Increases Sanctions, Export Control Restrictions Amid Russia’s Continued Aggression in UkraineLori E. Scheetz, John R. Shane, Paul J. Coyle, Nicole C. Hager, Hon. Nazak NikakhtarApril 12, 2022
- AlertTreasury, Commerce Target Russia’s Tech Sector, Defense Industrial BaseHon. Nazak Nikakhtar, Lori E. Scheetz, John R. Shane, Paul J. Coyle, Nicole C. HagerApril 5, 2022
- AlertCommerce Secretary Raimondo Signals Support for Outbound Investment ScreeningNova J. Daly, Daniel P. Brooks, Paul J. Coyle, Paul A. DevamithranMarch 25, 2022