Ranked among the top U.S. firms in this unique area of law, we deliver the results IP clients count on when complex innovations and major amounts of capital are at stake – and when the outcomes can determine a client’s future.
As a preeminent DC firm serving IP clients worldwide, we bring a unique, multidisciplinary perspective to matters involving the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO), the U.S. Copyright Office, the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA), and other federal agencies in the IP space. We draw upon our long-standing relationships with these agencies to provide clients with litigation support, prosecution counsel as well as crucial insights and strategic guidance.
We combine our top-notch legal and regulatory work with an efficient, responsive, and cost-effective business model. We’re not encumbered by the cost structures and complex fees that are typical of many larger, multi-office firms. We staff and manage cases to deliver results, not to maximize revenue.
What we do.
- As patent prosecutors, we bring a uniquely strategic viewpoint to our work. We help our clients understand how patents affect competition – where they can mine portfolios, get a jump on competitors, and establish tactical priorities. Our patent work, tailored to the unique needs of each specific client, is an essential element of competitive strategy, and one at which we excel – particularly with respect to medical device, pharmaceutical, and high-tech clients.
- Our thriving patent litigation team serves a wide array of companies – including generic pharmaceutical manufacturers, aerospace companies, and many others. Matters include Hatch-Waxman litigation, Section 1498 cases, and other similar proceedings with billions of dollars in potential outcomes.
- We’re one of very few firms with extensive expertise in helping government contractors defend, manage, and enforce their IP rights. As the government increasingly seeks to claim broader rights to its contractors’ intellectual property, we help clients protect their innovations, recoup their investments, and thrive in the unique space where IP law and government procurement intersect.
- We maintain large trademark portfolios for many clients in the United States and abroad, providing complete management throughout the life of a brand – including trademark selection, registration, enforcement, and licensing. We routinely appear in federal courts throughout the country litigating trademark infringement and unfair competition actions – including extensive domain name enforcement litigation under the Lanham Act – as well as in inter partes proceedings before the USPTO’s Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB). We also represent clients regularly in domain name disputes under the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP).
- We have extensive experience in copyright infringement matters and litigation, representing a wide range of clients with a particular emphasis on entertainment, Internet- and technology-related litigation. We provide high-quality copyright defense to traditional media companies, helping them manage litigation and train their employees in avoiding potential infringement. Other key clients include satellite radio broadcasters, software developers, Internet service providers, Internet content companies.
- We advise clients on the protection of their trade secrets, including the requirements of the Defend Trade Secrets Act and practical commercial approaches to safeguarding proprietary information and intellectual property. Our litigation team has experience in all facets of trade secret litigation, including recent cases in a number of jurisdictions.
Why we are different.
- We pioneered the use of IP and computer fraud claims together as a means for combatting online scams. We assist clients with matters involving Internet anti-counterfeiting, copyright infringement, distribution of malware and viruses, domain name theft or hijacking, anti-spam laws and regulations, and social media disputes.
- We are skilled and inventive negotiators, thanks in part to our courtroom experience and reputation in venues including the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia (known as the Rocket Docket) and the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware. We are aggressive, effective, and careful advocates – and we have the track record to prove it.
- As trial lawyers, we are unsurpassed in zealously protecting our IP clients’ interests and advancing their strategy. We litigate to win – and to accomplish that, we take our cases wherever we need to. And with former Federal Circuit clerks among our trial lawyers, upholding a trial victory on appeal is our mission from the start. Not all IP litigators can say that.
- As a DC firm, we are immersed in the day-to-day operations of the federal agencies involved in our IP cases – and we have the credibility with these decision-makers to both predict issues and effectively address them.
Related News & Insights
- Press ReleaseChristopher Kelly Named Chair of USPTO Trademark Public Advisory CommitteeDecember 9, 2020Christopher Kelly
- Press ReleaseFourteen Wiley Practices Recognized in 2021 U.S. News – Best Lawyers® ‘Best Law Firms’ RankingsNovember 6, 2020
- Press ReleaseWiley Recognizes More Than 40 Individuals in Eighth Annual Pro Bono Program CelebrationNovember 3, 2020Theodore A. Howard, Mary E. Borja, Rachel A. Alexander, Kathryn Bucher, Christine E. Connelly, Samantha S. Lee, Brandon J. Moss, Stephen J. Obermeier, Antonio J. Reynolds, Jeremy J. Schofer, Richard A. Simpson, Richard W. Smith, Scott B. Wilkens, Lukman S. Azeez, Ashley E. Bouchez, Louisa Brooks, Spencer C. Brooks, Frank H. Chang, Madeline J. Cohen, Stephen J. Conley, Katelyn Cramp, Ashley L. Criss, Douglas C. Dreier, Boyd Garriott, Vesna K. Harasic-Yaksic, Chloe Hawker, Derick G. Holt, Nick Peterson, Ysabelle G. Reyes, John Allen Riggins, Hume M. Ross, Tatiana Sainati, Rebecca L. Saitta, Enbar Toledano, Martha G. Vázquez, Nicole M. Welbourn, Holly Wilson
- Press Release28 Wiley Attorneys Recognized Across 17 Practice Areas in 2021 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®August 20, 2020Rand L. Allen, Attison L. Barnes, III, Ralph J. Caccia, Christine E. Connelly, Scott D. Delacourt, Henry Gola, Amb. David A. Gross, Jennifer D. Hindin, Theodore A. Howard, Kathleen A. Kirby, Ari Meltzer, Bert W. Rein, Bennett L. Ross, Peter D. Shields, Daniel J. Standish, Lawrence M. Sung, Michael E. Toner, Joshua S. Turner, David B. Weinberg, Richard E. Wiley, Bruce L. McDonald, Lukman S. Azeez, Lindy C. Bathurst, Cynthia C. Galvez, Tatiana Sainati, Kathleen E. Scott, Margaret T. Karchmer, Gary S. Ward