Ralph is a former federal prosecutor whose practice focuses on the defense of criminal and civil government enforcement actions, corporate internal investigations, and political and congressional investigations. Recognized by Chambers USA as having “a wealth of experience” (2014) and "deep credibility with DOJ prosecutors" (2016), Ralph regularly defends companies and their executives in complex cases involving health care fraud, the False Claims Act (FCA), the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), antitrust, contract, grant, and procurement fraud, whistleblower allegations, and securities fraud. He has defended hospitals, insurance companies, major defense contractors, financial institutions, and manufacturers, and has extensive experience handling internal investigations and grand jury matters. Ralph is a member of the firm's Management Committee.
- Represented hospitals, defense contractors, and medical device manufacturers in FCA investigations.
- Represented several high-level executives in a range of industries in FCPA investigations, criminal antitrust investigations, and U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) investigations.
- Represented companies and executives in criminal investigations relating to off-label marketing of medical devices.
- Represented generic drug manufacturers in government pricing investigations.
- Defended an antitrust investigation of the nation's largest privately held scrap metal company.
- Represented numerous individuals in public corruption investigations, including a U.S. Senator, Members of the U.S. House of Representatives, Executive branch officials, and lobbyists.
- Represented several nonprofit corporations in internal investigations involving allegations of board and management misconduct.
- Routinely represents companies in connection with procurement fraud, FCA, FCPA, Anti-Kickback Act, and other civil and criminal fraud allegations and issues.
- Representation of corporate and individual clients in Senate and House congressional investigations.
- Representation of government contractors in investigations related to the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) set-aside program.
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, United States Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia (1990-1995)
- Focused on the investigation and prosecution of white collar criminal matters.
- Prosecuted numerous jury trials in both the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia and the Superior Court of the District of Columbia and argued appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit and the District of Columbia Court of Appeals.
- Recipient of Special Achievement Awards from the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) for his work as a prosecutor and special commendations from the U.S. Secret Service and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) for his successful prosecution of complex financial fraud cases.
- American Bar Association, Criminal Justice Section, White Collar Crime Committee
- Edward Bennett Williams Inn of Court
- William B. Bryant Inn of Court
- Board of Directors, Fordham University Club of Washington, DC
- Course Advisor, Effective Prosecution of Financial and Cyber Crime, International Law Institute
- Board Member, Washington Legal Foundation, Legal Policy Advisory Board
- Member, Washington Tennis & Education Foundation (WTEF), Board of Directors
- Out-of-State, Post 2, Board of Governors, State Bar of Georgia (2012-2014)
- Assistant United States Attorneys' Association for the District of Columbia
- President (2002, 2012)
- Named a “Top Lawyer” in White Collar Criminal Defense by Washingtonian Magazine (2020)
- Recognized by The Legal 500 US in Corporate Investigations and White-Collar Criminal Defense (2019-2022)
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of “America's Leading Lawyers for Business” in Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (2014-2022)
- Named one of DC's “Super Lawyers” for Criminal Defense: White Collar by Super Lawyers magazine (2007-2009, 2013-2020, 2022)
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America directory for Criminal Defense: White-Collar Law (2009-2022) and FDA Law (2018-2022)
- Received 2015 Burton Award for Distinguished Legal Writing
- Named a “Life Sciences Star” for outstanding Government Enforcement/Investigation work in Euromoney's LMG Life Sciences (2015-2018)
J.D., Georgetown University Law Center
B.A., summa cum laude, Fordham University; Phi Beta Kappa
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Florida Bar
- Georgia Bar
- New York Bar
Related News & Insights
- Press Release54 Wiley Attorneys Recognized in 2023 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®August 18, 2022
- Press ReleaseLegal 500 US Recognizes 52 Wiley Lawyers and Seven Practice Areas NationallyJune 13, 2022
- Press ReleaseChambers USA Recognizes 38 Wiley Attorneys Across 10 Practice Areas Among Best in the CountryJune 1, 2022
- Media MentionRalph Caccia and Posi Oshinowo Discuss Workplace Culture InvestigationsThe National Law JournalDecember 2, 2021