Wiley’s Global Disputes Group is distinctively creative and effective, with a track record of high-profile wins in multi-million and multi-billion-dollar matters involving international companies and sovereign entities. We take a strategic approach to complex, multi-pronged, and multi-fora disputes, using unique procedural and substantive tactics tailored to achieve our client’s goals. For example, Wiley obtained the first ever foreign anti-suit injunction against a foreign sovereign in the history of the U.S. courts.
We handle a wide array of matters, from international commercial and treaty arbitration to complex commercial litigation involving issues of foreign and international law, across a range of industries, including energy and natural resources, mining, real estate, construction, defense, government contracts, telecommunications, and many others.
Flexible, cost-effective, and responsive, the Group consistently exceeds client expectations in high-stakes, bet-the-company matters. Wiley’s collaborative culture ensures clients benefit from the firm’s resources. The Group works seamlessly with other practices inside the firm and has developed a network of external contacts with leading counsel and experts across the world.
- A New York-based real estate developer in an international arbitration against a prominent South Korean construction company over ownership rights to one-third of a newly constructed, smart city and in a related suit in the U.S. courts.
- A U.S.-Guinean company in an international arbitration with multiple global mining companies over shipping rights.
- A global defense company in litigation in the United States and Korean courts related to the sale of F-16 fighter jets under the Foreign Military Sales Program.
- A satellite company in an international arbitration against an international organization over funding obligations.
- A renewable energy firm in parallel international arbitrations seated in London and Singapore with its Asian partner over best-efforts sales obligations.
- An oil and gas company in a dispute with a Central European state over ownership and exploration rights.
- An oil and gas consortium in a dispute with an African state over tax claims and ownership rights.
- An oil and gas company in a dispute with a Latin American state over allegations of fraudulent conspiracy, abuse of rights and denial of justice.
- An east African bank in an ownership and financing dispute over a cement plant.
- An Indian solar panel company in a Singapore-seated supply of goods arbitration with a German manufacturer.
- An Indian company in a CIETAC-seated arbitration in a supply of goods dispute with a Chinese supplier.
- A leading technology company in proceedings against ICANN to obtain its -name top level domain brand name.
- A U.S.-based domain registry operator in proceedings against ICANN to obtain top level domain names.
- U.S. litigation involving breach of contract and business tort claims between two of the world’s four largest defense contractors stemming from an international project.
- An American lobbying firm in a civil RICO and Computer Fraud and Abuse Act case involving allegations of computer hacking by the State of Qatar.
- American manufacturers of diamond sawblades in a civil RICO case against Chinese manufacturers.
- An international defense contractor in an Anti-Terrorism Act case involving allegations of paying the Taliban in Afghanistan.
- A major German telecommunications company in a breach of contract case involving internet peering agreements.
- Korean construction company with claims against U.S. AID for roadway infrastructure work done in Indonesia.
- U.S. apparel brand owner and licensor in an international arbitration with its European distributor regarding trademark infringement and royalty payments.
- A shipping company in a multi-million-dollar misappropriation of trade secrets case against global defense company related to military project in the U.S. courts.
- A European satellite operating company against a major European aerospace company in an international arbitration.
- A South American pharmaceutical company in an international arbitration against leading U.S. pharmaceutical company involving a dispute under a supply agreement and related patent issues.
- A French transportation company in a worldwide securities class action.
- A defense contractor in a multi-million dollar class action arbitration involving wage claims by fire and rescue employees during the Iraq War.
U.S. based multinational corporation in litigation related to alleged fraud, false claims, human trafficking, and violations of Kuwaiti law.
- Blockchain and Digital Assets
- Class Action
- Commercial Litigation
- Eastern District of Virginia: The Rocket Docket
- Election Law & First Amendment Litigation
- Employment & Labor
- Environmental Regulation, Litigation, and Counseling
- Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA)
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and Anti‑Corruption
- Global Disputes
- Hatch-Waxman Act Litigation
- Patent Litigation
- Professional Liability Defense
- State and Local Procurement Law
- TMT Appellate
Related News & Insights
- ArticleRenewable Energy Disputes – Answers in ArbitrationInternational Chamber of Commerce (ICC)September 23, 2021Joshua B. Simmons, Natalia Maria Szlarb
- Press ReleaseWiley’s Tara Ward Profiled by Law360 as a Government Contracts ‘Rising Star’June 18, 2021Tara L. Ward
- Press ReleaseLegal 500 US Recognizes 44 Wiley Lawyers Across Seven Practice Areas NationallyJune 11, 2021Rand L. Allen, Stephanie M. Bell, Timothy C. Brightbill, Jeremy J. Broggi, Jon W. Burd, Ralph J. Caccia, Jason P. Cronic, Robert E. DeFrancesco, III, Cara Tseng Duffield, Laura El-Sabaawi, Claire J. Evans, Matthew J. Gardner, Henry Gola, Anna M. Gomez, Amb. David A. Gross, Jennifer D. Hindin, Derick G. Holt, Tracye Winfrey Howard, Christopher S. Huther, Paul F. Khoury, Kathleen A. Kirby, Charles C. Lemley, Scott M. McCaleb, Ari Meltzer, Kimberly M. Melvin, Brandon J. Moss, Kevin B. Muhlendorf, Kendra Perkins Norwood, Stephen J. Obermeier, Daniel B. Pickard, John R. Prairie, Alan H. Price, Eve Klindera Reed, Antonio J. Reynolds, Gary P. Seligman, John R. Shane, Daniel J. Standish, Mark B. Sweet, Roderick L. Thomas, Maureen E. Thorson, David H. Topol, Tara L. Ward, Richard E. Wiley
- Press ReleaseJoshua Simmons, Former State Department Senior Adviser, Joins Wiley’s Global Disputes and Litigation TeamsMay 11, 2021Joshua B. Simmons, Ralph J. Caccia