White collar enforcement actions and investigations are exceptionally demanding and have high-stakes implications for everyone involved. We have decades of experience successfully defending clients facing potential civil and criminal liability based on conduct arising in the United States or abroad.
We represent clients across the full spectrum of industry sectors, with a special focus on civil and criminal matters involving government contracting, life sciences, international trade, securities and commodities fraud, the False Claims Act (FCA), the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), the Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery, and Enforcement Act (FIRREA), the Procurement Integrity Act, conflict-of-interest (anticorruption) statutes, cybersecurity, and election law. Our group has vast experience in matters involving a wide-range of federal agencies, including the DOJ, SEC, CFTC, FTC, OFAC, and IRS, as well as Congress and state and local law enforcement.
What we do.
Drawing on decades of experience and our unparalleled relationships, reputation, and credibility with decision-makers in virtually every government agency, our team can respond to allegations, claims, subpoenas, and investigations with creativity, agility, and precision. Aware of the cataclysmic effects that often accompany simply being charged with a crime or named in a civil action, we utilize our experience with enforcement bodies and decision-makers to design and implement strategies with an eye to avoiding such occurrences. However, we are also fully equipped to aggressively combat charges using comprehensive litigation strategies and tactics.
Our clients include government contractors, heavy industry, retail and technology companies, and their officers and executives in a range of civil and criminal proceedings, including allegations involving fraud, the FCPA, the FCA, anti-corruption statutes, the Procurement Integrity Act, and the Anti-Kickback Act. We also have an outstanding track record defending pharmaceutical companies, medical device and equipment manufacturers, and their directors and officers in white collar cases arising from off-label marketing allegations, as well as a wide range of other claims.
Clients regularly seek our particularized expertise in matters involving securities and financial fraud allegations including insider trading, market manipulation, spoofing, rate fixing, “political intelligence,” money laundering, and accounting fraud violations. We also have a strong reputation for representing companies and individuals in connection with congressional investigations and inquiries.
Why we are different.
- Our team is composed of former Assistant United States Attorneys, former congressional counsel, former U.S. DOJ and SEC attorneys, and a deep pool of home-grown talent specializing in government investigations and litigation. We know what the government will focus on and we can strategize accordingly, providing comprehensive cost-effective representation and advice to clients facing exposure to civil and criminal liability.
- When a case calls for it, we work seamlessly with colleagues from Wiley’s top-tier Government Contracts; International Trade; Telecom, Media & Technology; Election Law & Government Ethics; and other practices to leverage their unique subject-matter expertise. Our single-office model makes such collaboration as easy as a walk down the hall – not a trip across the country.
- We know that when one federal agency calls, another is likely not far behind, and we are prepared to respond to parallel investigations.
- Our expertise is global. Although based in Washington, DC, we routinely handle investigative matters arising in Europe, Asia, the Middle East, Africa, and around the world.
- Civil Fraud, False Claims, Qui Tam and Whistleblower Actions
- Communications Enforcement & Compliance
- Congressional Investigations and Oversight
- Criminal Investigations and Prosecutions
- Foreign Agents Registration Act
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and Anti‑Corruption
- Internal Investigations and Compliance Programs
- Securities Enforcement and Litigation
Related News & Insights
- EventCybersecurity and Global CompliancePLI: Compliance & Ethics Essentials 2020June 29, 2020Kevin B. Muhlendorf
- EventW3 Government EnforcementHealth Care Compliance Association's (HCCA) 24th Annual Compliance InstituteApril 1, 2020Brandon J. Moss
- Event5G and the Changing Face of Corruption and FCPA Enforcement in the Telecommunications IndustryTRACE 2020 ForumMarch 20, 2020Kevin B. Muhlendorf
- EventAsset Forfeiture2020 Qui Tam ConferenceFebruary 27, 2020Ralph J. Caccia