Nova has extensive public and private sector experience on regulatory and national security matters involving international investment and trade policy. He has held senior leadership positions at the U.S. Departments of the Treasury and Commerce, the White House, and the U.S. Senate. Drawing on his experience in the management, development, and implementation of the U.S. economic and national security policies and programs, he provides both high-level insight and deep operational experience to help clients navigate the policy and regulatory environment surrounding cross-border business activities, especially through the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), Team Telecom, and the Defense Counterintelligence Security Agency (DCSA).
- Represents numerous clients, including Fortune 500 companies, before CFIUS, Team Telecom, and DCSA.
- Drafted and ensured passage of the new CFIUS legislation, the Foreign Investment Risk Review Modernization Act (FIRRMA), and engaged business and Congress.
- Developed and implemented numerous trade and U.S. national security policies and actions.
- Provided key support for the passage of trade agreements and the protection of intellectual property.
- As Deputy Assistant Secretary for the Investment Security and Policy at the Treasury Department, oversaw numerous CFIUS transactions involving companies from nearly every industry, including critical technology and infrastructure, working closely with government agencies in the CFIUS process, and with companies to address national security concerns.
- Deputy Assistant Secretary, Investment Security & Policy, U.S. Department of the Treasury, Office of International Affairs (2006-2009)
- Directed and coordinated CFIUS, involving 16 executive departments and agencies and over 350 transactions worth over $300 billion, including sovereign wealth fund investments
- Oversaw the inter-agency reform of CFIUS; managed the development, coordination, and approval of new CFIUS regulations and guidance; held extensive consultations and briefings for Congress, businesses, and foreign officials. Developed, advocated, and implemented the U.S. government's legislative strategy for CFIUS reform
- Created and led U.S.-EU Investment Dialogue and U.S.-China Investment Forum to facilitate collaboration with foreign counterparts on investment policy matters
- Led U.S. Treasury's efforts on sovereign wealth fund and open investment policy in the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and with the G8
- Director for International Trade, National Security Council (2004-2006)
- Oversaw the inter-agency processes and policy on trade on behalf of the White House; served as liaison with U.S. business, Congress, and foreign officials
- Developed and coordinated U.S. policy positions on trade and investment, including issues relating to international institutions, economic stability, and national security
- Developed and implemented the Administration's "STOP Initiative" to address piracy and counterfeiting of intellectual property rights; coordinated with U.S. trade partners
- Trade Policy Advisor, U.S. Department of Commerce (DOC), Office of the Secretary (2003-2004)
- Managed trade and export control matters falling under the International Trade Administration and Bureau of Industry and Security within the DOC
- Developed a comprehensive report and implemented recommendations for the President's Manufacturing Initiative
- Provided assessments and strategic advice to the Secretary of Commerce and DOC leadership on existing and proposed legislation and policies related to international trade matters
- International Trade Advisor, U.S. Senate Committee on Finance (2002-2003)
- Analyzed and monitored U.S. legislative initiatives covering trade policy matters for Asia, trade agency authorizations and appropriations, U.S. Customs, antidumping and countervailing law, World Trade Organization (WTO) negotiations and dispute settlements, and International Trade Commission cases and reports
- The Foundation for Defense of Democracies (FDD)
- Board of Advisors, Center on Sanctions & Illicit Finance (CSIF)
M.A., School of International Service, American University
B.A., University of California, Irvine
Related News & Insights
- AlertGAO Study Highlights Shortcomings in USDA Land Deal Information Sharing with CFIUSNova J. Daly, Daniel P. Brooks, Paul J. Coyle, Patrick GriffoJanuary 26, 2024
- ArticleBiden Administration Issues Executive Order and Proposals Targeting Outbound Investment in ChinaThe Global Trade Law JournalDaniel P. Brooks, Nova J. Daly, Hon. Nazak Nikakhtar, Paul J. Coyle, Patrick GriffoJanuary 9, 2024
- AlertHouse Select Committee on the CCP Issues Report and 150 Policy Recommendations Affecting Trade, Telecom, Government Contracts and InvestmentTimothy C. Brightbill, Megan L. Brown, Nova J. Daly, Tracye Winfrey Howard, Hon. Nazak Nikakhtar, Crystal TullyDecember 18, 2023
- AlertHouse Select Committee on the CCP Releases Report Proposing Changes to CFIUSNova J. Daly, Daniel P. Brooks, Hon. Nazak Nikakhtar, Paul J. Coyle, Paul A. DevamithranDecember 15, 2023