Dan advises U.S. and multinational companies on a wide range of telecommunications, national security, economic sanctions, and export control issues. Dan frequently represents clients before the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), and the U.S. Treasury, State, Commerce, and Defense Departments. Prior to joining Wiley, Dan practiced corporate M&A, telecommunications, and national security law at another major international law firm.
- Represents domestic and international companies, private equity firms, and investment funds in national security reviews before CFIUS and Team Telecom; negotiates and drafts purchase agreements, fund formation documents, and mitigation agreements to address U.S. national security risks in transactions involving foreign investment.
- Represents satellite industry clients and other regulated telecommunications companies in complex regulatory, transactional, and compliance matters before the FCC; advises on issues such as satellite and earth station licensing, access to spectrum, assignments and transfers of control, foreign ownership, orbital debris mitigation, and federal reporting requirements.
- Assists multinational companies and financial institutions in complying with U.S. sanctions programs administered by the U.S. Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), including the preparation of specific license applications, unblocking applications, and voluntary disclosures.
- Advises on U.S. export controls administered by the Commerce Department’s Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) and the State Department’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC).
- Conducts internal investigations for Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), OFAC, and FCC-related matters and represents clients in enforcement proceedings.
- Advises telecommunications and technology companies on compliance with the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act (CALEA) and federal and state wiretapping laws.
- Advises service providers regarding Universal Service Fund (USF) contribution requirements.
- Law Clerk, Advocates for Basic Legal Equality (2007)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
J.D., University of Michigan Law School
B.A., University of Michigan
Executive Editor, University of Michigan Journal of Law Reform
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York Bar
Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt
Related News & Insights
- AlertTrump Administration Tightens Cuba Travel-Related and Other RestrictionsJohn R. Shane, Lori E. Scheetz, Daniel P. BrooksSeptember 25, 2020
- AlertCommerce Department Identifies Prohibited WeChat, TikTok TransactionsLori E. Scheetz, Daniel P. Brooks, Megan L. Brown, Nova J. Daly, John R. Shane, Richard C. SofieldSeptember 24, 2020
- AlertFCC Moves Ahead with Modernizing Foreign Ownership Reviews by Team TelecomRichard C. Sofield, Nova J. Daly, Megan L. Brown, Daniel P. Brooks, Michael L. DiakiwskiSeptember 11, 2020
- AlertCommerce Tightens Huawei Restrictions; Aims to Close LoopholesLori E. Scheetz, John R. Shane, Daniel P. BrooksAugust 18, 2020