Dan advises U.S. and international clients on a wide range of telecommunications, national security, economic sanctions, and export control issues. Dan frequently represents clients before the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), and the U.S. Treasury, State, Commerce, and Defense Departments. Prior to joining Wiley, Dan practiced corporate M&A, telecommunications, and national security law at another major international law firm.
- Represents domestic and international companies, private equity firms, and investment funds in national security reviews before CFIUS, the Committee for the Assessment of Foreign Participation in the United States Telecommunications Services Sector (Team Telecom), and the Defense Counterintelligence and Security Agency (DCSA).
- Negotiates and drafts purchase agreements, fund formation documents, and mitigation agreements to address national security risks in transactions involving foreign investment.
- Counsels telecommunications carriers, wireless companies, submarine cable operators, satellite providers, and financial institutions in securing regulatory approvals from the FCC and State Public Utilities Commissions for mergers, transfers of control, asset sales, reorganizations, and financing transactions.
- Advises clients on FCC regulatory and compliance-related matters, including licensing, access to spectrum, foreign ownership, and federal reporting requirements.
- Assists public and private companies, financial institutions, and non-profit organizations in complying with U.S. sanctions programs administered by the U.S. Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), including the preparation of specific license applications, unblocking applications, compliance reports, and voluntary disclosures.
- Advises on U.S. export controls administered by the Commerce Department’s Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) and the State Department’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC).
- Conducts internal investigations for OFAC and FCC-related matters and represents clients in enforcement proceedings.
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
J.D., University of Michigan Law School
B.A., University of Michigan
Executive Editor, University of Michigan Journal of Law Reform
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York Bar
Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt
Related News & Insights
- AlertFCC Seeks Comment on the Required Information Collection in its Standard Team Telecom Questions, Kicking Off OMB Approval ProcessEve Klindera Reed, Wayne D. Johnsen, Daniel P. Brooks, Stephen J. ConleyMarch 27, 2023
- AlertTreasury, Commerce Issue Reports to Congress Outlining Proposed Outbound Investment InitiativeNova J. Daly, Hon. Nazak Nikakhtar, Daniel P. Brooks, Paul A. DevamithranMarch 15, 2023
- AlertOne Year Into Russia’s Invasion of Ukraine, Biden Administration Expands Sanctions, Export Control RestrictionsHon. Nazak Nikakhtar, Lori E. Scheetz, John R. Shane, Daniel P. Brooks, Jordan Cannon, Paul J. CoyleMarch 1, 2023
- AlertCFIUS Confirms Excepted Foreign State Status for the United Kingdom and New ZealandNova J. Daly, Hon. Nazak Nikakhtar, Daniel P. Brooks, Paul J. CoyleFebruary 13, 2023