Dan advises U.S. and multinational companies on a variety of telecommunications, economic sanctions, export controls, and national security issues. He frequently represents clients before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), and the U.S. Departments of Treasury, State, Commerce, and Defense.
- Represents satellite industry clients and other regulated telecommunications companies in complex regulatory, transactional, and compliance matters before the FCC.
- Advises on a wide range of telecommunications issues, including satellite and earth station licensing, access to spectrum, assignments and transfers of control, foreign ownership, orbital debris mitigation, and federal reporting requirements.
- Assists multinational companies and financial institutions in complying with U.S. sanctions programs administered by the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), including the preparation of specific license applications, unblocking applications, and voluntary disclosures.
- Advises on U.S. export controls administered by the Commerce Department’s Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) and the State Department’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC).
- Represents domestic and international companies in national security reviews before the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) and Team Telecom.
- Conducts internal investigations for Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), FCC, and FTC-related matters and represents clients in enforcement proceedings.
- Advises telecommunications and technology companies on compliance with the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act (CALEA) and federal and state wiretapping laws.
- Assists companies in complying with regulatory obligations under the FTC Act, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the Telemarketing and Consumer Fraud and Abuse Protection Act, the CAN-SPAM Act, and the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA).
- Advises service providers regarding Universal Service Fund (USF) contribution requirements.
- Law Clerk, Advocates for Basic Legal Equality (2007)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- Bar Association of the District of Columbia (BADC)
J.D., University of Michigan Law School
B.A., University of Michigan
Executive Editor, University of Michigan Journal of Law Reform
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York Bar
Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt
Related News & Insights
- AlertTreasury Finalizes Significant Expansion of Foreign Investment RulesJanuary 17, 2020
- Press ReleaseWiley Rein Announces Partner and Of Counsel Promotions for 2020December 3, 2019
- AlertCommerce Publishes Proposed Rules Implementing Communications Supply Chain Executive OrderNovember 26, 2019
- AlertTrump Administration Further Extends Huawei Temporary General LicenseNovember 18, 2019