Tim represents clients on all aspects of international trade law and policy including import trade remedies (such as antidumping law, countervailing duty law, and safeguards investigations), global trade policy and trade negotiations, renewable energy and climate change policy, digital trade, international telecommunications, and customs enforcement matters. He has also been an adjunct professor at Georgetown University Law Center for 16 years.
Tim is rated among the nation’s leading lawyers for business by Chambers USA, which notes that he “has a penetrating intelligence and deep knowledge of dense trade issues" (2017). Clients have said that they "can rely on him to come through for [them] and that he brings “new and valuable perspectives to [their] interactions with U.S. regulators” (2016). Sources also cite Tim’s “thorough and detailed” quality of work and “adept handling of trade disputes” (2014).
- Lead counsel to SolarWorld America Inc., which in 2018 won the first global safeguards case filed in the United States in more than 15 years. In November 2012, SolarWorld won the largest U.S. trade remedy cases ever filed against China and the first cases involving renewable energy products, and also won follow-up cases against China and Taiwan in 2015.
- Lead counsel to the American Line Pipe Producers Association, the Coalition for Fair Trade in Hardwood Plywood, the American Manufacturers of Multilayered Hardwood Flooring, the American Kitchen Cabinet Association, and the Association of American School Paper Suppliers.
- Represents numerous U.S. industries in trade litigation and trade policy matters, including wooden cabinets and vanities, steel and steel products, solar cells and panels, hardwood plywood, large diameter line and structural pipe, multilayered wood flooring, enriched uranium, lined paper school supplies, heavy forged hand tools, and steel scrap.
- Represents numerous clients before the U.S. Department of Commerce (DOC) and the U.S. International Trade Commission (USITC), and in more than 60 oral arguments at the U.S. Court of International Trade and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Represents numerous clients in matters involving the steel and uranium Section 232 national security investigations
- Regularly advises and represents clients before Congress and the Executive Branch on potential changes to U.S. trade laws, trade remedies, and ongoing trade negotiations, including the World Trade Organization (WTO), U.S. Free Trade Agreements (FTA), and Bilateral Investment Treaties (BIT).
- As vice chair of the Industry Trade Advisory Committee on Services and Finance Industries, advises service industries and provides the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) and the U.S. government with industry advice on WTO, FTA, and BIT negotiations with major U.S. trading partners.
- Represented U.S. industry coalition supporting the USTR in its successful WTO challenge of China's raw material and rare earth export restrictions.
- Edited "Trade Remedies for Global Companies," an American Bar Association book on the U.S. and foreign trade remedies, and authored a chapter on antidumping law and countervailing duty law petitions.
- Vice-Chair (2013-Present) and Member (2007-Present), Industry Trade Advisory Committee on Services and Finance Industries
- Adjunct Professor, International Trade Law and Regulation, Georgetown University Law Center (2002-Present)
- Faculty Member, Georgetown Law Global Trade Academy (previously the Academy of WTO Law and Policy) (2006-Present)
- Legislative and Legal Counsel, U.S. Representative John J. LaFalce, Chair of the House Committee on Small Business (1994-1995)
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of International Law
- Senior Advisor, International Trade Committee (2011-Present)
- ABA Liaison to ITAC 10 (2007-Present)
- Division Chair and Council Member (2005-2007)
- Deputy to Section Chair (2004-2005)
- Chair, International Trade Committee (2002-2004)
- Federal Circuit Bar Association (FCBA)
- Vice-Chair, International Trade Committee
- The Committee to Support U.S. Trade Laws (CSUSTL)
- Chairman, CSUSTL Executive Committee (2019)
- Executive Leadership Committee, Lawyers Have Heart (2010-Present)
- Site Coordinator and Volunteer, Washington Legal Clinic for the Homeless (1996-Present)
- Georgetown Journal of International Law, Alumni Advisory Board
- Named by Law360 as an International Trade MVP (2014, 2017)
- Named one of the “Global Elite Thought Leaders" in North America by the International Who's Who of Trade & Customs Lawyers (2016, 2018 - 2019)
- Listed by Chambers Global as one of the "Leaders in Their Field" for his work in Trade Remedies & Trade Policy (2012-2020)
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in International Trade: Trade Remedies & Trade Policy (2012-2019) and "America's Leading Lawyers for Business - Up and Coming" (2010-2011)
- Included in Legal Media Group's Expert Guides: Guide to the World's Leading International Trade and Shipping Lawyers (2008-Present)
- Included in the International Who's Who of Trade & Customs Lawyers (2010-2012, 2015-2016)
- Named one of DC's "Top 100 Lawyers" (2014, 2019) and "Super Lawyers" for International (2013-2018) by Super Lawyers magazine
- Named by The Legal 500 US a "recommended lawyer" in International Trade (2013-2019)
J.D., Georgetown University Law Center
B.S., with honors, Northwestern University
Editor-in-Chief, Law and Policy in International Business
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of International Trade
Related News & Insights
- AlertUSTR Identifies Barriers to U.S. Exports in the 2020 National Trade Estimate ReportAlan H. Price, Timothy C. Brightbill, Tessa CapelotoApril 2, 2020
- AlertChinese Authorities to Require Quality Certifications from Companies Seeking to Export COVID-19 SuppliesAlan H. Price, Timothy C. Brightbill, Laura El-Sabaawi, Maureen E. Thorson, Adam M. TeslikApril 1, 2020
- AlertDHS Updates Guidance on Essential Critical Operations and Workers During COVID-19Timothy C. Brightbill, Anna M. Gomez, Vidushi ShrimaliMarch 30, 2020
- AlertCoronavirus Relief Package: What Employers and Industries Need to KnowRachel A. Alexander, Thomas W. Antonucci, Attison L. Barnes, III, Timothy C. Brightbill, Todd A. Bromberg, Laura El-Sabaawi, Amb. David A. Gross, Tracye Winfrey Howard, Peter S. Hyun, Kathleen A. Kirby, Kevin J. Maynard, Jessica N. Rosenthal, Richard W. Smith, Maureen E. Thorson, Taylor Robert Daily, Martha G. Vázquez, Wesley E. WeeksMarch 27, 2020