Lori represents U.S. and international clients on export compliance and national security matters, with a focus on U.S. export controls and economic sanctions. She regularly assists clients with developing export compliance plans, procedures, and training materials; preparing licenses and other authorizations; classifying products and technology; conducting internal compliance investigations and due diligence for buyers and sellers in the mergers and acquisitions context; and developing remedial actions. Lori has advised clients across a variety of industries, including leading manufacturers of state-of-the-art defense equipment, encryption software and hardware developers, aerospace companies, engineering and other service providers, satellite communications companies, nuclear technology companies, and universities and research institutions.
- Counsels U.S., foreign, and multinational firms on compliance with the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), nuclear export controls administered by the U.S. Department of Energy and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, sanctions administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), antiboycott laws and regulations administered by the U.S Department of Commerce and the U.S. Department of the Treasury, the Foreign Trade Regulations, and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA).
- Develops export compliance plans and procedures tailored to clients’ activities and businesses that incorporate all applicable U.S. export requirements.
- Leads comprehensive internal compliance investigations and audits, develops remedial actions, and drafts voluntary disclosures to the relevant U.S. government agencies.
- Conducts due diligence for buyers and sellers in the mergers and acquisitions context, including in coordination with attorneys representing clients in national security reviews before the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS).
- Creates and provides export compliance training programs.
- Counsels U.S., foreign, and multinational firms on managing changes to jurisdiction and classification of products and technology resulting from the U.S. Export Control Reform Initiative, navigating the unique compliance requirements applicable to foreign entities with products incorporating controlled U.S. content, and complying with evolving and nuanced U.S. sanctions on Iran, Cuba, and Russia/Ukraine.
- Assists start-up companies developing cutting edge aerospace, nuclear, and other technologies in tackling complex export issues in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Provides specialized guidance to software and hardware developers and infrastructure companies on U.S. encryption controls, and coordinates efforts to comply with related foreign import/customs requirements.
- Prepares license applications, Technical Assistance Agreements, Manufacturing License Agreements, ITAR registration statements and related notifications, Commodity Jurisdiction and commodity classification requests, and antiboycott reports.
- Assists clients petition for removal from state sanctions divestment lists.
- Assists clients seeking to permanently import munitions items with the registration and permit requirements administered by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
- Represents clients in trade litigation before the U.S. International Trade Commission (USITC), the U.S. Department of Commerce, the U.S. Court of International Trade, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of International Law (2008-Present)
- Society for International Affairs
The Association of Women in International Trade
J.D., summa cum laude, Georgetown University Law Center; Order of the Coif
B.A., summa cum laude, Dickinson College
Executive Editor, Georgetown International Environmental Law Review
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of International Trade
Related News & Insights
- Event2021 Wiley National Security Series: National Security Issues in M&A Due DiligenceOctober 5, 2021
- Event2021 Wiley National Security Series: Economic SanctionsSeptember 15, 2021
- AlertTreasury Publishes Updated List of Boycotting Countries; Removes the UAETessa Capeloto, Daniel B. Pickard, Lori E. ScheetzApril 9, 2021
- AlertCommerce Eases Encryption Export Controls, Reporting RequirementsLori E. Scheetz, John R. ShaneMarch 29, 2021