Dot Powell-Woodson serves as Co-Chair of the firm's Health Care Practice. Dot also serves on the firm's two governance committees, the Executive Committee and the Management Committee.
Dot counsels clients on government health care procurements and contracting, contract administration, and state and federal regulatory compliance relating to complex prime, subcontract and affiliate agreements. Dot’s practice focuses on all major government health care programs (including Medicare, Medicaid, the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program, and TRICARE), and on federal statutory and regulatory requirements applicable both to government and commercial health care offerings (including the Affordable Care Act, the HIPAA Administrative Simplification regulations, the HITECH Act, the federal health care Anti-Kickback Act and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act).
A significant component of Dot’s current practice is in developing and negotiating complex contracts for various ancillary programs, most notably for pharmacy benefits, but also for dental, vision, disease management, behavioral health, telehealth and various consumer tools. With regard to her PBM experience, Dot has developed and negotiated contracts with all major PBMs for retail, mail order and specialty drug programs and also has assisted clients with direct rebate contracting and contracting for medical rebates. Read more about Dot's PBM experience here.
Dot has served in many different roles connected to the health care industry, including serving as the Governor's appointed Director of Virginia's health care agency, as a Virginia Assistant Attorney General, and as Vice President for Legal Services for two national health care entities. She also served early in her career as a corporate attorney for a Blue Cross and Blue Shield plan.
- Conducts due diligence for commercial transactions and handles procurement matters involving the commercial and public sector markets, including prosecuting protests at the agency level, the Government Accountability Office (GAO), the Court of Federal Claims and Federal District Court.
- Analyzes and interprets the HIPAA Administrative Simplification provisions - Privacy Rule, Standards for Electronic Transactions and Security Standards - and compliance obligations for health plans as insurers and third-party administrators.
- Provides legal guidance on all aspects of health care and government contracting (including drafting and negotiating prime contracts, subcontracts, and affiliate agreements); counsels clients on contract administration and interpretation issues; reviews and assesses contractor compliance with contract terms and conditions; advises on the legal aspects of proposal preparation; provides legal analyses and preparation of requests for equitable adjustment to contracting officers and claims to boards of contract appeal and/or federal courts; and undertakes defense of audit issues.
- Editor-in-Chief, Health Care Contracts: A Clause-By-Clause Guide to Drafting and Negotiation, American Health Law Association, 2021
- Vice President, Legal Affairs, Value Behavioral Health
- Vice President, National Public Programs and Vice President and Legal Counsel, Options Health Care
- Director, Commonwealth of Virginia, Department of Personnel and Training (now Virginia Department of Human Resources Management)
- Corporate Attorney, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Virginia
- Assistant Attorney General, Commonwealth of Virginia
- American Bar Association
- Section of Public Contract Law
- Section of Health Law
- American Health Law Association, Board of Directors
- Editorial Board, Journal of Health and Life Sciences Law
- Co-Chair, Diversity & Inclusion Council
- Membership Committee
- Public Interest Committee
- National Bar Association
- Named by the YWCA as a "Woman of the Year" (2015)
- Named by Lawdragon as one of "3000 Leading Lawyers in America" (2010-2011)
J.D., T.C. Williams School of Law, University of Richmond
B.A., magna cum laude, Virginia Union University
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
Related News & Insights
- Press ReleaseWiley Partners Recognized in Savoy Magazine’s 2022 Most Influential Black LawyersFebruary 25, 2022
- EventLooking Around the Corner: How to Navigate the Shifting Drug Contracting LandscapeHealth Care Compliance Association (HCCA) 2022 Virtual Managed Care Compliance ConferenceFebruary 9, 2022
- Press ReleaseWiley Expands Health Care Practice with General Counsel of Trillium HealthNovember 29, 2021
- Press ReleaseDot Powell-Woodson Co-Edits AHLA’s New Book ‘Health Care Contracts: A Clause-by-Clause Guide to Drafting and Negotiation’October 21, 2021