Derick represents clients in a variety of international trade matters, including antidumping and countervailing duty investigations, export controls, and sanctions compliance programs. He practices before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, the U.S. Court of International Trade, the U.S. Department of Commerce, and the U.S. International Trade Commission. His work involves a broad range of industries, including steel and downstream steel products, aluminum extrusions, and renewable energy products. When Derick is not protecting domestic industries from unfairly traded imports, he represents low-income D.C. residents in landlord-tenant disputes.
- Represents clients in trade litigation, including original investigations, administrative reviews, and 5-year “sunset” reviews before the U.S. Department of Commerce, and the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC).
- Represents clients before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the U.S. Court of International Trade.
- Assists clients in compliance with export controls and economic sanctions maintained by the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Commerce.
- Provides guidance on national security issues, including regulations promulgated by the Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC) and the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) within the U.S. Department of the Treasury.
- Represents low-income D.C. residents in landlord-tenant disputes, which have resulted in rent abatement, rent reduction, and substantial renovations to tenants’ units.
- Represented World War II pro bono client in appeal seeking benefits from the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs for injuries sustained during combat in France in 1944.
- Intern, U.S. International Trade Commission (2003-2011)
- Intern, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (2007)
- American Bar Association
- Fellow, Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) 2018
- Recognized by Law360 as a "Rising Star" in International Trade Law (2020)
J.D., magna cum laude, Howard University School of Law; Merit Scholar (all semesters)
B.S., magna cum laude, Towson University; Dean’s List (six semesters)
Senior Member, Howard Law Journal
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Bar
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. Court of International Trade
Related News & Insights
- PodcastMaking Trade Inclusive for All Americans: A Conversation with the President of the Steel Manufacturers Association (SMA)Derick G. HoltMarch 22, 2021
- PodcastMaking Trade Inclusive for All Americans: A Discussion with Roxanne Brown on Unions, Trade, & DEIWiley PodcastDerick G. HoltMarch 3, 2021
- PodcastMaking Trade Inclusive for all Americans: An Interview with International Trade Partner Derick HoltDerick G. HoltFebruary 23, 2021
- AlertUPDATE: USITC to Investigate Censorship as a Non-Tariff Barrier to TradeAlan H. Price, Timothy C. Brightbill, Kathleen A. Kirby, Laura El-Sabaawi, Derick G. Holt, Adam M. TeslikJanuary 27, 2021