Chris represents clients in connection with all aspects of trademark enforcement, procurement, and management, including trademark and unfair competition litigation in the federal courts and proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, cybersquatting and Internet domain name disputes and litigation, including proceedings under the Uniform Dispute Resolution Procedure (UDRP), domestic and international trademark clearance and prosecution, licensing and client counseling. Chris is a frequent speaker at INTA and ABA events, speaking on critical issues for U.S. and foreign mark-holders.
- Assists clients with all aspects of domestic and international trademark portfolio management, including clearance, prosecution and maintenance, counseling, licensing and transactional matters, and trademark enforcement and litigation.
- Advises clients on various Internet issues, including domain name disputes and copyright matters.
- Represents industries including restaurant chains, media and communications conglomerates, Internet and insurance firms, and textile and food manufacturers.
- Attorney-Advisor, U.S. Department of Commerce, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Trademark Examining Operations (1990-1994)
- District of Columbia Bar, Intellectual Property Law Section
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- Chair (2021-Present), Vice Chair (2019-2020), and Member (2018-Present), Trademark Public Advisory Committee (TPAC)
- Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) Pro Bono Review Committee (2021-Present)
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in Intellectual Property: Trademark, Copyright & Trade Secrets (2014-2016)
- Included in The Best Lawyers of America directory for Litigation - Intellectual Property (2024)
J.D., The Delaware Law School; Widener University
B.A., University of Delaware
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Delaware Bar
Related News & Insights
- Press Release64 Wiley Attorneys Recognized in 2024 Edition of The Best Lawyers in AmericaAugust 17, 2023
- Press ReleaseChristopher Kelly Named Chair of USPTO Trademark Public Advisory CommitteeDecember 9, 2020
- AlertU.S. Supreme Court Rules Willfulness not Required for Trademark ProfitsChristopher Kelly, David E. Weslow, Ari Meltzer, Spencer C. BrooksMay 11, 2020
- Press ReleaseChristopher Kelly Named Vice Chair of USPTO Trademark Public Advisory CommitteeJanuary 7, 2020