Chris represents clients in connection with all aspects of trademark enforcement, procurement, and management, including trademark and unfair competition litigation in the federal courts and proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, cybersquatting and Internet domain name disputes and litigation, including proceedings under the Uniform Dispute Resolution Procedure (UDRP), domestic and international trademark clearance and prosecution, licensing and client counseling. Chris is a frequent speaker at INTA and ABA events, speaking on critical issues for U.S. and foreign mark-holders.
- Assists clients with all aspects of domestic and international trademark portfolio management, including clearance, prosecution and maintenance, counseling, licensing and transactional matters, and trademark enforcement and litigation.
- Advises clients on various Internet issues, including domain name disputes and copyright matters.
- Represents industries including restaurant chains, media and communications conglomerates, Internet and insurance firms, and textile and food manufacturers.
- Attorney-Advisor, U.S. Department of Commerce, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Trademark Examining Operations (1990-1994)
- District of Columbia Bar, Intellectual Property Law Section
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Vice Chair (2019-Present) and Member (2018-Present), Trademark Public Advisory Committee (TPAC), United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in Intellectual Property: Trademark, Copyright & Trade Secrets (2014-2016)
J.D., The Delaware Law School; Widener University
B.A., University of Delaware
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Delaware Bar
Related News & Insights
- AlertU.S. Supreme Court Rules Willfulness not Required for Trademark ProfitsChristopher Kelly, David E. Weslow, Christopher M. Mills, Ari Meltzer, Spencer C. BrooksMay 11, 2020
- Press ReleaseChristopher Kelly Named Vice Chair of USPTO Trademark Public Advisory CommitteeJanuary 7, 2020
- Media MentionChristopher Kelly Comments on Trademark Infringement Suit Against Off-WhiteWWDJuly 10, 2019
- AlertWiley Rein Helps Secure Important First Amendment Win in Supreme Court Trademark CaseChristopher Kelly, Scott B. Wilkens, Wesley E. WeeksJune 24, 2019