Bob is a leading practitioner in the food and agricultural area, with over 30 years of experience counseling clients on federal regulatory matters involving the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS), as well as other USDA agencies such as the Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) and the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS). He also has extensive involvement with oversight of the food industry conducted by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This has included his involvement in some of the largest food product recalls in US history, success in obtaining government approvals for numerous new products and processes, ongoing regulatory counsel on food labeling matters and a history of successful litigation against the federal government in this area.
Advising client on compliance with USDA Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) requirements and FDA regulations promulgated under the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA).
Assisting compliance with novel issues posed by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Representation of clients in administrative proceedings conducted under the Federal Meat Inspection Act, the Packers and Stockyards Act, and the Perishable Agricultural Commodities Act.
Assisting clients in responses to FDA Warning Letters and FSIS Notices of Intended Enforcement Action.
Success in obtaining authorizations for the use of new ingredients and technologies designed to enhance food safety.
Counseling on food standards, labeling and advertising matters, including obtaining favorable rulings from the FSIS prior label approval program.
Extensive experience with emerging food categories such as plant based and organic products and bioengineered ingredients.
- American Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Agricultural Management Committee, Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources
- Section of Administrative Law and Regulatory Practice
- Secretary-Treasurer, International HACCP Alliance
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Maryland Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Recognized by Chambers USA in 2019 in Food & Beverages: Regulatory & Litigation
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America directory for FDA Law (2020)
- Recognized by Food Safety News as an industry leader, Best of Food Safety: The Food Industry (2013)
J.D., American University, Washington College of Law
B.A., Columbia College
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Bar
- Massachusetts Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
Related News & Insights
- ArticleFood and Beverage Policy Trends to Monitor This YearLaw360Bob Hibbert, Ryan Michael FournierJanuary 13, 2021
- Media MentionBob Hibbert Discusses FDA and USDA Regulatory Approval Process for Cell-Based MeatsFood DiveDecember 15, 2020
- AlertFarm-to-Table Traceability Is on Its Way: FDA Issues Proposed RuleAnn M. Begley, Ryan Michael Fournier, Bob HibbertOctober 2, 2020
- Press ReleaseRyan Michael Fournier and Bob Hibbert Join Wiley, Further Bolstering FDA Regulatory PracticeOctober 1, 2020