Bill has 35 years of experience advising businesses on a broad range of legal issues. He represents clients on commercial, federal, state, and local procurement matters, including internal ethics and compliance programs, bid protests, and contractor and government claims, including defense of False Claims Act matters, disputes, responding to audits and investigations, and proposed debarment and suspension. Bill’s practice includes international trade issues such as the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), export control, and investigations related to Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA).
- Represents clients in contract claims through Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR), Board litigations, and in federal court. Has handled numerous claims and contractual issues arising out of Iraq reconstruction and major construction projects.
- Assists clients in achieving favorable U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) decisions or agency corrective actions in bid protests including A-76 and contracting out competitions.
- Represents commercial companies in addressing the unique risks and obligations involved when selling to the government as well as in connection with disputes between prime contractors and subcontractors.
- Building upon his prior experience advising the Department of the Navy on suspension, debarment, and present responsibility of government contractors, he represents commercial companies and government contractors in the establishment of comprehensive Ethical Contracts Compliance programs and in connection with Corporate Governance issues. Provides support to ensure that employees are trained on compliance issues and that compliance programs reflect current legal and business ethics requirements.
- Represents clients in responding to criminal, civil, and administrative subpoenas, investigations, and audits and conducting internal audits and investigations, including with respect to adherence to internal compliance policies and programs.
- Represents clients on export control matters, particularly as they relate to ITAR before the Department of State.
- Advises multinational companies on FCPA issues, including internal audits and investigations, transactional due diligence, and compliance programs.
- Assists clients in response to government investigations and subpoenas related to allegations of false claims, fraud, kickbacks, and criminal offenses.
- Chief Counsel, Wang Laboratories, Inc., Federal Services Division (1982-1985)
- Assistant to the General Counsel, U.S. Navy (1979-1982)
- Attorney-Advisor, Navy Regional Procurement Center (1976-1979)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Vice-Chair, Section of Public Contract Law, Privatization, Outsourcing and Related Transactions Committee (2001-Present)
- Defense Science Board, Task Force on the Impact of E-Commerce on U.S. Department of Defense Acquisition Processes (2001-2002)
- Board of Advisors, SAI Global (a leading online provider of compliance materials) and contributor to its government contract compliance products
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for Government Contracts by Super Lawyers magazine (2013-2018)
- AV Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell's highest ranking by peers for general ethical standards and legal ability
LL.M., with honors, The George Washington University Law School
J.D., with honors, University of Iowa School of Law
B.A., Black Hills State College
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Iowa Bar
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Fifth and Federal Circuits
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
Related News & Insights
- Press ReleaseWiley Rein Wins Law360’s Government Contracts ‘Practice Group of the Year’ Award for ‘High-Profile Wins’ in a ‘Variety of Forums’January 12, 2016
- ArticleTwo Systems, Two Types of Risk: How the World Bank Sanctions Regime Differs from US Suspension and DebarmentABA Public Contact Law Section's The Procurement LawyerWilliam A. Roberts, III, Tracye Winfrey Howard, Samantha S. LeeFall 2015
- ArticleView from Wiley Rein: The World Bank’s Sanctions Regime Is a World Apart from the Suspension and Debarment System Federal Contractors KnowBloomberg BNA's Federal Contracts ReportWilliam A. Roberts, III, Tracye Winfrey Howard, Samantha S. LeeSeptember 15, 2015
- Press ReleaseSuper Lawyers Recognizes 57 Wiley Rein Attorneys in DC List Across 16 Areas of the LawApril 23, 2015