Amaru counsels domestic and global companies in matters involving products regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), and relevant state agencies. As a former in-house counsel for a publicly traded company, Amaru is well-positioned to help clients navigate complex legal, regulatory, and business issues.
- Advises companies in emerging food categories such as alternative proteins using plant, microbial, and animal cell-based technologies (also known as cultivated meat), as well as organic products and bioengineered ingredients.
- Assists food companies and trade associations in maintaining an active role in the development of domestic and global governmental regulations, policies, and industry guidance by preparing food/food ingredient related filings, organizing agency meetings, and drafting/submitting comments in response to regulatory actions.
- Prepared and submitted the New Drug Application (NDA) for a publicly traded global pharmaceutical company and assisted with ongoing communications with the FDA regarding the same.
- Serves on the Medical Legal Review committee for a global pharmaceutical company.
- Advises clients on FDA requirements for expedited development and review programs such as fast track, breakthrough therapy, and priority review designations, as well as accelerated approval.
- Represents and guides clients in responding to FDA information requests as well as enforcement actions such as Warning Letters, Untitled Letters, Complete Response Letters, recalls, import detentions, and alerts.
- Counsels clients on regulations and policies involving product lifecycle, beginning with product formulation, manufacturing facilities, supply chain, labeling, compliance claims, regulatory marketing strategy, and advertising.
- Assists companies with due diligence involving the sale and acquisition of companies that produce FDA-regulated products, including human and animal food, as well as pharmaceutical drug companies.
- Executive Director, Legal/Regulatory/Compliance, CorMedix Inc. (2019-2021)
- Associate, Private law practice (2017-2019)
- Project Manager, National Quality Forum (NQF) (2011-2015)
- Health Policy Research Analyst/Advisor, Massachusetts State Legislature (2009-2011)
- American Bar Association
- Consumer Health Products Association
- Food and Drug Law Institute (2021-Present)
- Food and Dietary Supplement Safety and Regulation Committee (2023)
- Pathfinder, Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) (2023)
- Maryland Tech Council
J.D., Columbus School of Law, The Catholic University of America
M.P.H., Boston University School of Public Health
B.S., University of Florida
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
Related News & Insights
- EventCellular Agriculture Innovation Day 2024Tufts University Office of the Vice Provost for InnovationJanuary 11, 2024
- EventFuture Regulatory and Legal OutlookPrime Label Consultants Food Label Seminars 2023October 26, 2023
- EventCarbon LabelingPrimeLabel Consultants 35th Food Label ConferenceJune 6, 2023
- ArticleUSDA Salmonella Proposal Propels New Food Safety JourneyLaw360Bob Hibbert, Amaru J. SánchezMay 30, 2023