Wayne represents broadcasters, cable operators, programmers, satellite operators, wireless companies and financial institutions in a variety of regulatory, corporate, and transactional matters. He has extensive experience assisting clients with broadcast licensing and radio and television regulation, must carry, retransmission consent, program access, cable franchising, Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ownership rules and policies, and foreign ownership issues, including FCC and Team Telecom reviews. He has assisted clients in structuring and obtaining regulatory approvals of transactions involving broadcasters, cable operators, satellite operators, wireless and other telecommunications companies.
- Counsels clients on FCC rulemaking proceedings, including those implementing the 1992 Cable Act and the Telecommunications Act of 1996.
- Advises broadcasters on compliance with FCC regulations and assists in negotiation and execution of retransmission consent agreements.
- Assists broadcasters in structuring transactions and obtaining regulatory approvals.
- Advises investment companies in transactions and maintaining compliance with FCC ownership rules.
- Advises cable clients in negotiations with local franchise authorities regarding renewal of cable franchises.
- Analyzes the regulations that would apply for a company to offer video using an existing, hybrid, or new network.
- Represented Charter, AOL/Time Warner, Comcast, and other cable operators in transactions requiring FCC and local franchise authority consent to transfers of control of cable franchise. Involved in preparing and implementing strategies to obtain regulatory consents.
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- Co-Chair, Video Programming and Distribution Committee (2014-2017)
- AV Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell's highest ranking by peers for general ethical standards and legal ability
J.D., magna cum laude, Georgetown University Law Center; Order of the Coif
M.S., S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, Syracuse University
B.A., summa cum laude, State University College at Buffalo
Associate Editor, Georgetown University Tax Lawyer
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
Related News & Insights
- Press ReleaseWiley Advises Venture Technologies Group and VCY America in Strategic TransactionsNovember 17, 2023
- Press ReleaseWiley Represents VCY America in Acquisition of Wilmington, DE Radio Station from Beasley MediaOctober 11, 2023
- AlertFCC Provides Guidance on International Section 214 Information CollectionKevin G. Rupy, Daniel P. Brooks, Megan L. Brown, Edgar Class, Jennifer D. Hindin, Wayne D. Johnsen, Eve Klindera ReedAugust 30, 2023
- AlertThe FCC Releases International Section 214 Order and NPRM, Proposing Major Changes to the Regulation of International Telecommunications ServiceDaniel P. Brooks, Edgar Class, Wayne D. Johnsen, Eve Klindera Reed, Kevin G. Rupy, Scott Bouboulis, Jillian M. QuigleyApril 27, 2023