Tracy has been representing clients for more than twenty years in a broad range of environmental, health, and safety matters. She is nationally recognized for her strategic representation of businesses that manufacture and market chemicals, pesticides, biocides, and other highly regulated products. Tracy is a member of the firm’s Management Committee.
- Develops strategies for evaluating and defending “embattled” products, including strategies for managing regulatory, public policy, communications, and litigation risks.
- Counsels clients on sophisticated environmental/regulatory requirements affecting all aspects of chemical development, production, and use.
Counsels clients on the regulatory aspects of acquisitions, mergers and other transactions including the transfer of regulatory licenses, product registrations, permits and intellectual property rights involving pesticides and other highly regulated products. Provides strategic advice to minimize transaction costs and avoid business interruptions.
Advises clients in the specialty chemical and pesticide sector on various agreements relating to sourcing, supply, toll manufacturing, distribution, sale, and other supply chain services.
- Represents clients before regulatory authorities to facilitate product approvals and defend against product restrictions and other adverse regulatory decisions.
- Assists clients in the area of environmental compliance assessment by conducting internal investigations to identify existing noncompliance issues and designing and implementing compliance programs.
- Works extensively with scientific experts and consultants in the areas of public health, risk assessment, toxicology, ecotoxicity, carcinogenicity, children’s health, and occupational exposure.
- Counsels and represents clients on a wide range of legal and policy matters involving the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA), the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA), the Food Quality Protection Act (FQPA), the Clean Air Act (CAA), the Hazardous Communication Standard of the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OSHA), the Federal Hazardous Substances Act, the Poison Prevention Packaging Act, the Consumer Product Safety Act (CPSA), the U.S. Department of Transportation rules governing hazardous materials transport, the U.S. Customs Service rules governing chemical import/export, community right-to-know laws, and California’s Proposition 65.
- Advises clients on issues regarding the restriction and regulation of ozone-depleting substances under Title VI of the CAA and the multi-lateral international environmental treaty that governs those substances.
- Counsel, Methyl Bromide Industry Panel of the American Chemistry Council (1992-Present)
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of Environment, Energy and Resources
- Committee on Pesticides, Chemical Regulation and Right-to-Know
- Committee on International Environmental Law
- Women’s Bar Association of the District of Columbia (WBA)
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of “America’s Leading Lawyers for Business” in Environment (2021-2022)
J.D., University of Virginia School of Law
B.A., cum laude, State University of New York at Geneseo
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Fourth and District of Columbia Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia and Eastern District of Virginia
Related News & Insights
- Media MentionBiggest Environmental Policy Actions Of 2022Law360December 22, 2022
- Blog PostFAR Council Proposes to Create a New Standard of Contractor Responsibility: Requiring Contractors to Disclose Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Climate-Related Financial RiskThe WELLTracye Winfrey Howard, Kara M. Sacilotto, Tracy Heinzman, Richard B. O'Keeffe, Jr., Lisa Rechden, Teresita RegelbruggeNovember 17, 2022
- AlertFAR Council Proposes to Create a New Standard of Contractor Responsibility: Requiring Contractors to Disclose Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Climate-Related Financial RiskTracye Winfrey Howard, Kara M. Sacilotto, Tracy Heinzman, Richard B. O'Keeffe, Jr., Lisa Rechden, Teresita RegelbruggeNovember 16, 2022
- Press ReleaseChambers USA Recognizes 38 Wiley Attorneys Across 10 Practice Areas Among Best in the CountryJune 1, 2022