Rand joined Wiley as a lateral partner over 30 years ago to establish and build a government contracts practice. Since that time, the firm has grown from about 50 to more than 240 attorneys, and Rand served as chair of what became one of the biggest government contracts practices in Washington, DC, and a nationally recognized (Chambers USA “top tier”) government contracts practice globally. Since its founding, the firm’s Government Contracts Group has represented more than 400 top government contractors—including a third of the top 100 biggest government contractors, based on total contracting dollars in FY2016, as well as hundreds of small businesses and entities performing their first government contracts. Rand has been recognized as one of the top lawyers and strategic advisors in the government contracts business, having been named the “Leading Government Contracts Lawyer” by the Legal Times and consistently ranked for many years by Chambers USA as a top tier (“Band 1”) government contracts lawyer—and recognized by clients and peers as a “dean in the area of government contracts work.” In addition to his legal practice, Rand serves as a strategic senior advisor to many companies for high-stakes matters that often involve bet-the-company issues, compliance audits, bid protests, mergers and acquisitions, and situations requiring a form of “crisis management” which will usually call for a multiple disciplinary, legal/public relations/government relations team. He is also a globally recognized authority on the topic of government contracts law, working with his team to regularly publish thought leadership papers, articles, and op-eds nationwide, as well as speaking at numerous events.
- Represented The Boeing Company in its successful protest and ultimate award of the $35 billion Air Force tanker contract.
- Represented a leading aerospace contractor in successfully resolving termination and related claims valued in excess of $1 billion.
- Counseled a major IT contractor on contract interpretation and claims under a multi-billion dollar outsourcing contract with the government.
- Frequently serves as lead counsel on high profile suspension/debarment matters involving the Department of Defense (DOD), the General Services Administration (GSA) and other federal agencies.
- Regularly represents clients in their response to government audits and government/internal investigations and "mandatory disclosures" of alleged "procurement fraud" and related False Claims Act litigation.
- Served as lead Government Contracts counsel in Motorola's $825 million sale of its Integrated Systems Division to General Dynamics and BAE Systems $2 billion purchase of Lockheed Sanders and other Lockheed units.
- Represents clients in federal and state court civil actions involving prime contractor/subcontractor disputes.
- Outside General Counsel for the Professional Services Council (PSC), the national trade association of the government professional and technical services industry
- Member, Advisory Board, Federal Contracts Report
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Chair, Section of Public Contract Law (1999-2000)
- Board of Advisors (Government Contracts), The George Washington University Law School
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of “America's Leading Lawyers for Business” and in the top tier nationally in Government Contracts (2004-2022)
- Named one of “Washington's Best Lawyers” (2011, 2013) and one of “Washington's Top Lawyers” (2009, 2015, 2017, 2018) by Washingtonian magazine; named to Washingtonian’s “Top Lawyers Hall of Fame” (2022)
- Named a Legal Times “Visionary,” one of a select group of lawyers whose work “represents the best of Washington law” (2009)
- Named to Ethisphere Institute's list of “Attorneys Who Matter” in the Compliance Specialty area of Government Contracting (2009)
- Named one of DC's “Super Lawyers” for Government Contracts by Super Lawyers magazine (2010-2020)
- Named by The Legal 500 US as a “leading lawyer” (2015-2019) and recognized in the "Hall of Fame" (2020-2021) in Government Contracts
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America directory for Government Relations (2013-2024) and Government Contracts (2023-2024)
J.D., Georgetown University Law Center
B.S., United States Military Academy at West Point
Editor, Georgetown Law Journal
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Related News & Insights
- Press Release64 Wiley Attorneys Recognized in 2024 Edition of The Best Lawyers in AmericaAugust 17, 2023
- Press Release54 Wiley Attorneys Recognized in 2023 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®August 18, 2022
- Press ReleaseChambers USA Recognizes 38 Wiley Attorneys Across 10 Practice Areas Among Best in the CountryJune 1, 2022
- Press Release31 Wiley Attorneys Recognized Across 17 Practice Areas in 2022 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®August 19, 2021