Nick represents clients on a wide range of litigation, transactional, and regulatory matters with a particular focus on government contractors, nonprofit organizations, and companies operating in the environmental, aviation, and consumer product sectors. He specializes in conducting internal investigations and counseling individual and corporate clients facing government inquiries, investigations, and/or civil enforcement actions.
- Advised defense contractor regarding alleged violations of the False Claims Act (FCA) and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) arising from work in Kuwait and Afghanistan.
- Represented facility operations and maintenance contractor in FCA litigation involving allegations of fraud stemming from work performed following Hurricane Katrina.
- Counseled executive of global logistics agency in criminal and civil investigations regarding alleged violations of Transportation Security Administration (TSA) regulations.
- Represented multiple consumer product retailers before the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regarding the shipment of hazardous materials.
- Advised international retailer of food and consumer products regarding regulatory, legal, and strategic issues arising from its operations in the U.S.
- Advised nonprofit entity regarding allegations of fraud involving its executive director.
- Advised nonprofit entities regarding potential responses to actions taken by the Smithsonian Institution.
- Advised multiple trade associations regarding litigation options involving foreign entities.
- Counseled domestic manufacturer regarding an investigation by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) of alleged violations of the Clean Air Act (CAA).
- Represented major pesticide manufacturers with respect to regulatory issues and litigation involving the EPA and the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS).
- Hazardous Materials Specialist, Special Agent, Federal Aviation Administration (2002-2004)
- Civil Aviation Security Specialist, Special Agent, Transportation Security Administration (2002)
- American Bar Association (ABA), White Collar Crime Committee, Business Law Section
- Vice President, DC Regional Board of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Washington (2017 - Present)
- Virginia Bar Association (VBA)
- Named by The Legal 500 US a "recommended lawyer" in Corporate Investigations and White-Collar Criminal Defense (2019)
- Received 2015 Burton Award for Distinguished Legal Writing
J.D., University of Virginia School of Law
B.A., cum laude, Davidson College
Editorial Board, Virginia Environmental Law Journal
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia and Eastern District of Virginia
Related News & Insights
- Press ReleaseLegal 500 US Recognizes 37 Wiley Rein Lawyers Across Six Practice Areas NationallyJune 3, 2019
- Press ReleaseWiley Rein Wins Pro Bono Immigration Case, Preventing Unlawful Deportation of ClientDecember 13, 2018
- Media MentionNick Peterson Comments on Use of Granston Memo in Light of DOJ’s FCA Suit DismissalDecember 6, 2018
- Press ReleaseWiley Rein Recognizes 21 Individuals in Sixth Annual Pro Bono Program CelebrationOctober 30, 2018