Nick represents clients facing criminal and civil investigations, government enforcement actions, and internal investigations. He also counsels clients on regulatory and statutory compliance questions, litigation risks, and other strategic concerns. He has represented major government contractors, nonprofit organizations, and companies operating in the environmental, aviation, healthcare, technology and consumer product sectors.
- Represented government contractor in False Claims Act (FCA) case involving allegations of fraud and human trafficking related to its performance of U.S. government contracts in Kuwait.
- Advised engineering and construction company regarding potential legal exposure and other issues related to performance of a Department of Energy (DOE) contract.
- Defended major defense contractor in Army Civil Investigative Division (CID) and U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) investigations regarding performance of a U.S. Army contract in Europe.
- Conducted internal investigation for defense contractor regarding allegations of bribery and kickbacks and potential exposure under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA).
- Counseled executive of global logistics agency in criminal and civil investigations regarding alleged violations of Transportation Security Administration (TSA) regulations.
- Represented IT contractor in DOJ investigation into allegations of bid-rigging.
- Counseled domestic manufacturer regarding an investigation by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) of alleged violations of the Clean Air Act (CAA).
- Defended defense contractor in a CID investigation into performance of government contracts in Afghanistan.
- Represented IT contractor in parallel criminal and civil investigations regarding allegations of fraud, bribery, and kickbacks.
- Conducted internal investigation of construction company regarding allegations of fraud related to performance of U.S. Navy contracts.
- Represented facility operations and maintenance contractor in FCA litigation involving allegations of fraud stemming from work performed pursuant to Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) contracts following Hurricane Katrina.
- Counseled executive of a major pharmaceutical company in criminal investigation regarding allegations of fraud.
- Represented multiple consumer product retailers in enforcement actions brought by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regarding alleged violations of the Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR).
- Advised international retailer of food and consumer products regarding regulatory, legal, and strategic issues arising from its operations in the U.S.
- Advised 501(c)(3) organization regarding allegations of fraud involving its executive director.
- Represented major pesticide manufacturers with respect to regulatory issues and litigation involving the EPA and the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS).
- Hazardous Materials Specialist, Special Agent, Federal Aviation Administration (2002-2004)
- Civil Aviation Security Specialist, Special Agent, Transportation Security Administration (2002)
- American Bar Association (ABA), White Collar Crime Committee, Business Law Section
- President, DC Regional Board of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Washington (2017-Present)
- Virginia Bar Association (VBA)
- Named by The Legal 500 US a "recommended lawyer" in Corporate Investigations and White-Collar Criminal Defense (2019)
- Received 2015 Burton Award for Distinguished Legal Writing
J.D., University of Virginia School of Law
B.A., cum laude, Davidson College
Editorial Board, Virginia Environmental Law Journal
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia and Eastern District of Virginia
Related News & Insights
- ArticlePPP Borrowers Beware: More Money Can Lead to More ProblemsNick Peterson, Olaoluwaposi O. Oshinowo, Ashley E. BouchezJuly 9, 2021
- Press ReleaseWiley Recognizes More Than 40 Individuals in Eighth Annual Pro Bono Program CelebrationNovember 3, 2020
- Press ReleaseLegal 500 US Recognizes 37 Wiley Rein Lawyers Across Six Practice Areas NationallyJune 3, 2019
- Press ReleaseWiley Rein Wins Pro Bono Immigration Case, Preventing Unlawful Deportation of ClientDecember 13, 2018