Nick represents clients facing government investigations or enforcement actions. He also conducts internal investigations and counsels clients on potential civil and criminal exposure, regulatory and statutory compliance questions, litigation risks, and other strategic concerns. He has represented major government contractors, nonprofit organizations, and companies operating in the environmental, aviation, healthcare, technology and consumer product sectors.
- Represented large government contractor in a qui tam case involving allegations that the contractor violated the False Claims Act (FCA) and Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act (TVPRA) with respect to certain timekeeping and employment practices in Kuwait.
- Defended major defense contractor in Army Civil Investigative Division (CID) and U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) investigations regarding the maintenance and repair of military vehicles in Europe.
- Defended contractor in a case involving FCA and TVPRA claims regarding subcontractor affiliation issues and allegations of human trafficking in Kuwait.
- Represented defense contractors in FCA litigation alleging the submission of fraudulent intelligence reports to the U.S. Army in Afghanistan.
- Represented engineering and construction company in parallel criminal and civil investigations regarding allegations of timekeeping fraud under a Department of Energy (DOE) contract.
- Represented facility operations and maintenance contractor in FCA litigation involving allegations of fraud stemming from the receipt of a Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) contract.
- Conducted internal investigation for defense contractor regarding allegations of bribery and kickbacks and potential exposure under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) in performance of a contract in Kuwait.
- Represented defense contractor in CID and Defense Criminal Investigative Service (DCIS) investigations into costs incurred in the performance of a U.S. government contract in Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and Bahrain.
- Conducted internal investigation for nuclear facility operator regarding potential fraudulent recordkeeping and data reporting issues.
- Defended government contractor in a putative class action arising from alleged actions related to the payment of benefits under the Defense Base Act (DBA).
- Represented staffing company in antitrust investigation by DOJ.
- Counseled executive of global logistics agency in parallel criminal and civil investigations regarding alleged violations of Transportation Security Administration (TSA) regulations.
- Counseled domestic manufacturer regarding an investigation by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) of alleged violations of the Clean Air Act (CAA).
- Represented IT contractor in parallel criminal and civil investigations regarding allegations of fraud, bribery, and kickbacks.
- Conducted internal investigation of construction company regarding allegations of fraud related to performance of U.S. Navy contracts.
- Counseled executive of a major pharmaceutical company in criminal investigation regarding allegations of fraud.
- Represented multiple consumer product retailers in enforcement actions brought by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regarding alleged violations of the Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR).
- Advised international retailer of food and consumer products regarding regulatory, legal, and strategic issues arising from its operations in the U.S.
- Advised 501(c)(3) organization regarding allegations of fraud involving its executive director.
- Hazardous Materials Specialist, Special Agent, Federal Aviation Administration (2002-2004)
- Civil Aviation Security Specialist, Special Agent, Transportation Security Administration (2002)
- American Bar Association (ABA), White Collar Crime Committee, Business Law Section
- President, DC Regional Board of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Washington (2017-Present)
- Virginia Bar Association (VBA)
- Named by The Legal 500 US a "recommended lawyer" in Corporate Investigations and White-Collar Criminal Defense (2019)
- Received 2015 Burton Award for Distinguished Legal Writing
J.D., University of Virginia School of Law
B.A., cum laude, Davidson College
Editorial Board, Virginia Environmental Law Journal
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia and Eastern District of Virginia
Related News & Insights
- AlertDOJ Signals Tough Stance on Crimes Involving Misuse of Artificial IntelligenceKara M. Sacilotto, Nick Peterson, Megan L. Brown, Duane C. PozzaFebruary 20, 2024
- Media MentionGenerative AI Use Poses Threats to Attorney-Client PrivilegeBloomberg LawJanuary 23, 2024
- ArticleAI Policies Needed to Avoid Liability in Government ContractingBloomberg LawNick Peterson, Craig SmithDecember 14, 2023
- Press ReleaseWiley’s Pro Bono Program Achieves ‘Significant Result’ on Behalf of Immigration ClientDecember 13, 2023