Kim represents insurers in connection with coverage issues related to a variety of professional liability lines of coverage, including liability policies issued to directors and officers, financial institutions, mutual funds, investment advisors, ERISA plans, rating agencies, insurance companies, insurance brokers, and lawyers. She has particular expertise regarding bankruptcy and insolvency issues arising in the insurance context as well as fiduciary liability matters. The Legal 500 US regularly recognizes Kim as a recommended lawyer in Insurance Law, noting clients find her “intelligent, responsive, and excellent with adversaries and mediators” (2017), and an “extremely responsive” (2015) “top attorney” (2016). Kim also serves as a member of the firm's two governance committees, the Executive Committee and the Management Committee.
- Represents professional liability insurers in connection with major corporate scandals, significant financial disruptions, and corporate bankruptcies, including civil litigation, arbitration proceedings, and governmental investigations.
- Regularly represents professional liability insurers in coverage litigation before federal appellate, district, and bankruptcy courts, as well as state courts nationwide.
- Serves as monitoring counsel in connection with securities, derivative, Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), bankruptcy, and employment claims, including large, complex multi-district litigation matters.
- Frequently represents insurers in the mediation of large, complex claims and the negotiation of sophisticated settlements, including coverage workouts.
- Advises clients regarding insurance underwriting for directors and officers and other professional liability policies.
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
- Board of Trustees (2020-Present)
- PLUS Journal Editorial Board (2015-2019)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Co-Chair, Section of Litigation's Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, Professional Liability Subcommittee (2016-2018)
- Co-Chair, Section of Litigation's Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, Bankruptcy & Insolvency Subcommittee (2010-2016)
- Co-Chair, Section of Litigation's Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, Professional Liability Subcommittee (2009-2011)
- Task Force on Corporate Governance Institute (2008-2009)
- Member, Sections of Litigation and Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section (TIPS)
- Named to Law360's Insurance Editorial Advisory Board (2020)
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in Insurance (2018-2022)
- Included in The International Who’s Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers (2016)
- Named to Business Insurance magazine's list of "Women to Watch" (2013)
- Named a "Rising Star" by Law360 and included on their list of "five insurance lawyers under 40 to watch" (2011)
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for Insurance Coverage by Super Lawyers magazine (2013-2020)
- Recognized by The Legal 500 US in Insurance Law (2013-2022)
J.D., magna cum laude, George Mason University School of Law
B.A., magna cum laude, Mary Washington College
Notes Editor, George Mason Law Review
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia and Southern District of Indiana
Related News & Insights
- EventNever-Ending Story: Exposures Facing Fiduciaries and Their InsurersPLUS Conference 2022November 10, 2022
- Press ReleaseLegal 500 US Recognizes 52 Wiley Lawyers and Seven Practice Areas NationallyJune 13, 2022
- Press ReleaseChambers USA Recognizes 38 Wiley Attorneys Across 10 Practice Areas Among Best in the CountryJune 1, 2022
- Press ReleaseFormer Assistant U.S. Attorney Ashley Eiler Rejoins Wiley’s Insurance PracticeMay 16, 2022