Kim represents insurers in connection with coverage issues related to a variety of professional liability lines of coverage, including liability policies covering directors and officers, financial institutions, mutual funds, investment advisors, ERISA plans, rating agencies, insurance companies, insurance brokers, and lawyers. She has particular expertise regarding bankruptcy and insolvency issues arising in the insurance context as well as fiduciary liability matters. Rated among the nation’s leading insurance lawyers by Chambers USA, Kim is recognized as “a fierce advocate for her clients” and “an excellent attorney with strong analytical skills and a deep knowledge of insurance-related law, as well as being a seasoned and creative negotiator” (2022).The Legal 500 US regularly recognizes Kim as a recommended lawyer in Insurance Law, noting clients find her “intelligent, responsive, and excellent with adversaries and mediators” (2017), and an “extremely responsive” (2015) “top attorney” (2016).
- Represents professional liability insurers in connection with major corporate scandals, significant financial disruptions, and corporate bankruptcies, including civil litigation, arbitration proceedings, and governmental investigations.
- Regularly represents professional liability insurers in coverage litigation before federal appellate, district, and bankruptcy courts, as well as state courts nationwide.
- Serves as monitoring counsel in connection with securities, derivative, Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), bankruptcy, and employment claims, including large, complex multi-district litigation matters.
- Frequently represents insurers in the mediation of large, complex claims and the negotiation of sophisticated settlements, including coverage workouts.
- Advises clients regarding insurance underwriting for directors and officers and other professional liability policies.
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
- Board of Trustees (2020-Present)
- PLUS Journal Editorial Board (2015-2019)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Co-Chair, Section of Litigation's Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, Professional Liability Subcommittee (2016-2018)
- Co-Chair, Section of Litigation's Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, Bankruptcy & Insolvency Subcommittee (2010-2016)
- Co-Chair, Section of Litigation's Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, Professional Liability Subcommittee (2009-2011)
- Member, Sections of Litigation and Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section (TIPS)
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in Insurance: Insurer (2018-2023)
- Recognized by The Legal 500 US in Insurance Law (2013-2023)
- Named to Law360's Insurance Editorial Advisory Board (2020)
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for Insurance Coverage by Super Lawyers magazine (2013-2020, 2023)
- Named to Business Insurance magazine's list of "Women to Watch" (2013)
- Named a "Rising Star" by Law360 and included on their list of "five insurance lawyers under 40 to watch" (2011)
J.D., magna cum laude, George Mason University School of Law
B.A., magna cum laude, Mary Washington College
Notes Editor, George Mason Law Review
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia and Southern District of Indiana
Related News & Insights
- Press ReleaseWiley Names Benjamin Eggert Co-Chair of Insurance PracticeDecember 4, 2023
- Press ReleaseLegal 500 US Recognizes 51 Wiley Lawyers and Seven Practice Areas NationallyJune 9, 2023
- Press ReleaseChambers USA Recognizes 40 Wiley Attorneys in 14 CategoriesJune 1, 2023
- Media MentionInsurance Group Of The Year: WileyLaw360February 2, 2023