Kay represents communications, government contractor, technology, financial services, insurance, health care provider, and not-for-profit corporation and trade association clients in mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures, and complex commercial contracts. She assists clients in all phases of the transaction, from initial strategy to consummation, and has experience in a variety of public and private financing methods. Kay also advises such clients regarding best corporate governance practices and investigations initiated by the board, a board committee, independent auditors, or government agencies.
- Represented The Marvin Group, a privately held California-based company, in the company’s sale of its Aerospace Dynamics International subsidiary to Precision Castparts Corp.
- Led team representing a publicly traded designer and manufacturer of secure communication and information products, systems, and services in $825 million sale of a national security and defense industry government contracting division.
- Represented a well-known coffee company in a series of transactions where brand positioning was crucial, including granting exclusive rights to distribute its coffee and co-branded products, such as coffee ice cream, in supermarkets.
- Represented a major commercial IT contractor in forming a joint venture with one of the largest defense contractors to provide comprehensive network management and other professional services under a classified contract with the federal government.
- Represented a leading manufacturer of handsets and network equipment in entering into a master purchase agreement with a national wireless service provider.
- Represented a financial services client in the acquisition of insurance brokerage companies with brokers selling Directors and Officers Liability (D&O) insurance in a number of states.
- Represented a not-for-profit health care provider in forming a joint venture to perform a large, multi-year government contract and in providing financing to the joint venture.
- Represented the audit committee of a publicly traded company in connection with an investigation requested by the company's independent auditors pursuant to Section 10A of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934.
- Represented the physician sellers of a pediatric practice in Northern Virginia and the physician purchasers of a pain management practice in New York.
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- AV Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell's highest ranking by peers for general ethical standards and legal ability
J.D., cum laude, University of Houston Law Center
Ph.D., Rice University
M.A., Rice University
B.A., summa cum laude, Tulane University; Phi Beta Kappa
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
Related News & Insights
- Press ReleaseWiley Rein Recognizes 19 Individuals in Seventh Annual Pro Bono Program CelebrationOctober 29, 2019
- Press ReleaseWiley Rein Recognizes 21 Individuals in Sixth Annual Pro Bono Program CelebrationOctober 30, 2018
- ArticleRisks of Contractual Joint Ventures for Government ContractsToday's General CounselKay Tatum, John R. Prairie, George E. PetelMarch 27, 2018
- Press ReleaseWiley Rein Recognizes 22 Attorneys in Fourth Annual Pro Bono Program CelebrationNovember 1, 2016