Karen counsels insurers in connection with coverage issues arising under professional liability and general liability policies, and she represents her clients in coverage litigation in state and federal courts nationwide. Karen, a certified Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt, uses the LLSI process and project management tools to continually improve the value proposition the firm delivers to its clients.
- Counsels insurers on potential coverage issues and litigation strategies.
- Represents clients in a variety of complex coverage litigation issues, including drafting pleadings, motions practice, and discovery.
- Advises insurers on mediation and settlement issues and strategies for handling claims.
- Serves as monitoring counsel in connection with directors and officers, lawyers, and other professional liability claims.
- Serves as defense counsel in complex professional liability actions.
- Intern, D.C. Superior Court, Chambers of The Honorable Gerald Fisher (2008)
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of Litigation, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee
- Co-Chair, Young Lawyers Subcommittee
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
- Virginia Bar Association (VBA)
- Women's Bar Association of the District of Columbia (WBA)
- Recognized by Law360 as a "Rising Star" in Insurance (2019)
J.D., magna cum laude, George Mason University School of Law
B.A., magna cum laude, The George Washington University; Phi Beta Kappa
Notes Editor, George Mason University Civil Rights Law Journal
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt
Related News & Insights
- NewsletterIll. Ruling Clarifies Wrongful Incarceration Insurance TriggersExecutive SummaryBenjamin C. Eggert, Karen L. TotoJanuary 2020
- ArticleIll. Ruling Clarifies Wrongful Incarceration Insurance TriggersLaw360Benjamin C. Eggert, Karen L. TotoDecember 6, 2019
- Press ReleaseWiley Rein Recognizes 19 Individuals in Seventh Annual Pro Bono Program CelebrationMary E. Borja, Moshe B. Broder, Kathryn Bucher, Ralph J. Caccia, Madeline J. Cohen, Matthew J. Gardner, Theodore A. Howard, Grace Caroline Mahan, Keith A. Matthews, Kendra Perkins Norwood, Nicole Audet Richardson, Tatiana Sainati, Peter D. Shields, Craig Smith, Krystal B. Swendsboe, Kay Tatum, Karen L. Toto, Brian WalshOctober 29, 2019
- Press ReleaseWiley Rein’s Karen Toto Profiled by Law360 as ‘Rising Star’Karen L. TotoSeptember 16, 2019