John serves as senior counsel to Wiley. He represents and counsels clients in matters involving patent litigation, antitrust and trade regulation, and general commercial litigation. John regularly confers with Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and Antitrust Division staff concerning merger and other civil enforcement matters.
- Litigates numerous complex patent actions involving a variety of high technology issues, including pharmaceuticals (Hatch-Waxman), pesticides, genomic analysis, ADSL technology, integrated wireless electronic mail communications systems, satellite attitude control systems, CCD video cameras, semiconductor manufacturing technology, dielectric microwave filters, gene cloning, and protein purification.
- Counsels clients concerning mergers, joint ventures, Hart-Scott-Rodino reporting, distributional restrictions, Noerr-Pennington immunity, Robinson-Patman issues, patent-antitrust, corporate compliance, trade association activities, and horizontal restraint issues.
- Represents clients in jury and non-jury patent actions in federal court, before the International Trade Commission (ITC) and on appeal to the Federal Circuit, and litigates a variety of civil antitrust and commercial cases in both federal and state courts.
- Attorney, U.S. Department of Justice, Antitrust Division, Appellate Section (1972-1974)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Section of Antitrust Law
- Section of Intellectual Property Law, Patent Division
J.D., Yale Law School
B.S., summa cum laude, Stanford University; Phi Beta Kappa
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Related News & Insights
- Press ReleaseWiley Rein Helps Local Citizens Groups Preserve Pristine Waterfront Land at Deep Cove Creek in Anne Arundel County, MarylandJ. Ryan Frazee, John B. WyssMarch 8, 2018
- Press ReleaseWiley Rein Helps Local Citizens Group Secure Standing to Contest Housing Development at Deep Cove Creek in Anne Arundel CountyJohn B. WyssMay 8, 2017
- Press ReleaseWiley Rein Helps Client Alpha Media Close on Acquisition of Digity Radio StationsKathleen A. Kirby, Jessica N. Rosenthal, Jerita L. DeBraux Salley, John B. WyssMarch 3, 2016
- Press ReleaseWiley Rein Amicus Brief Helps Persuade U.S. Supreme Court to Review Federal Circuit Ruling on Patent Litigation Attorney FeesJohn B. WyssOctober 2, 2013