George counsels and represents government contractors on a broad range of government contracting issues, including contract claims and disputes, bid protests, internal investigations, and cost allowability matters. A certified Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt, George uses the LLSI process and project management tools to continually improve the value proposition the firm delivers to its clients.
- Prosecutes and defends bid protests before the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO), and before the Small Business Administration (SBA) Office of Hearings and Appeals.
- Counsels government contractors on compliance with SBA regulations, including size standards and affiliation, mentor-protégé agreements and joint ventures, and women-owned, veteran-owned and service-disabled veteran-owned, 8(a), and HUBZone program requirements.
- Counsels government contractors on compliance with mandatory disclosure obligations, incurred cost submissions, and other government reporting requirements.
- Represents companies and individuals in connection with procurement fraud and other civil and criminal fraud allegations and issues, including conducting internal investigations and preparing Mandatory and Voluntary Disclosures.
- Counsels government contractors on compliance with federal and state False Claims Acts, conflict of interest rules, and other ethics requirements.
- Participates in merger and acquisition due diligence reviews, advising clients on government contracts issues and risks.
- Counsels government contractors regarding claims and disputes, including claims under the Contracts Disputes Act (CDA).
- Represents government contractors in drafting and negotiating teaming and subcontracting agreements and in prime-subcontractor disputes.
- Assisted numerous clients with issues arising under the Service Contract act (SCA) including assessment of coverage and related counseling, and representation in connection with Department of Labor SCA compliance audits and compliance with SCA fringe benefit requirements.
- Adjunct Professor in Government Contracts, Antonin Scalia Law School at George Mason University (Fall 2022)
- Research Assistant, The George Washington University Law School, Associate Dean Daniel I. Gordon (2013)
- Legal Intern, U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission, Division of Enforcement (2012)
- Senior Accountant (2011), Staff Accountant (2009-2011), Fannie Mae
- Internal Auditor (2009), Staff Accountant (2005-2009), Charming Shoppes, Inc
American Bar Association (ABA), Section of Public Contract Law
- Co-Chair, Regulatory Coordinating Committee (2020-Present)
- Vice-Chair (2020-2021), Co-Chair (2019-2020), PCLS Diversity Committee
- Vice-Chair, Small Business and Other Socioeconomic Programs Committee (2018-Present)
J.D., with honors, The George Washington University Law School
B.A., Swarthmore College
Editor-in-Chief, Public Contract Law Journal
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia, District of Maryland, and Eastern District of Virginia
Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt
Related News & Insights
- AlertDOD Class Deviation Offers Some Relief from SAM UEI HeadachesGeorge E. Petel, W. Benjamin Phillips, IIISeptember 12, 2022
- EventGrant Award ProcessGeorge Mason University Federal Grants Review: The Comprehensive Certificate Course for Agencies and GranteesJune 16, 2022
- EventGovernment Relations Compliance for Government Contractors: Mid-term Election Year 2022Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC)June 8, 2022
- EventTruthful Cost or Pricing Data Act OverviewWiley Government Contracts Boot Camp WebinarApril 28, 2022