George has extensive experience with U.S. and international hazardous materials and dangerous goods transportation regulations. He also serves as the Executive Director of PRBA – The Rechargeable Battery Association and represents the PRBA and other battery trade associations at domestic and international transportation forums such as the United Nations Subcommittee of Experts on the Transport of Dangerous Goods, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Dangerous Goods Panel, and the International Maritime Organization (IMO). He has experience in the environmental law, policy, and regulatory fields and focuses on issues affecting the rechargeable battery industries as well as the portable electronics and electric vehicle industries. He conducts hazardous materials/dangerous goods training programs for shippers of lithium metal batteries and lithium ion batteries, portable electronic equipment, and electric vehicles.
- Monitors domestic and international legislative and regulatory developments affecting various segments of the rechargeable battery and electronics industries, including transportation and battery collection and recycling developments in the U.S., Europe, Asia, and Latin America.
- Interacts frequently with the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), the International Air Transport Association, the International Civil Aviation Organization, the United Nations Subcommittee of Experts on the Transport of Dangerous Goods, the IMO, and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- Attends domestic and international transportation forums on hazardous materials/dangerous goods regulations and drafts proposed changes to the regulations affecting the battery and electronics industries.
- Conducts hazardous materials/dangerous goods training programs throughout the U.S.
- Secures Competent Authority Approvals and Special Permits from the DOT and foreign transportation agencies for shippers of hazardous materials/dangerous goods.
- Lithium Battery Safety Advisory Committee, U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT)
- Lithium-Ion Car Battery Recycling Advisory Committee, California Environmental Protection Agency (CalEPA)
- Dangerous Goods Advisory Council (DGAC)
- Associate Member, Environmental Law Institute (ELI)
- Advisor, International Civil Aviation Organization, Dangerous Goods Panel
- Executive Director, PRBA - The Rechargeable Battery Association
- Observer, United Nations, Subcommittee of Experts on the Transport of Dangerous Goods
M.A., The Johns Hopkins University
B.A., University of Maryland
Related News & Insights
- EventBattery Safety Battery Testing & Regulations: Latest Developments with the International Fire Code Impacting the Storage of Li-Ion BatteriesCambridge EnerTechMarch 9, 2021
- AlertU.S. DOT and Transport Canada Provide Relief from Sanitizer and Disinfectant Transportation RegulationsGeorge A. KerchnerApril 17, 2020
- EventNew Hazard-Based Classification System for Shipping Lithium Batteries as Dangerous Goods: Background and UpdatePRBA – The Rechargeable Battery AssociationOctober 28-31, 2019
- EventEducating Consumers on Lithium ion Battery Safety: Cradle to GravePRBA - The Rechargeable Battery AssociationOctober 22-24, 2019