Gary counsels and represents government contractors on a range of legal matters. He regularly litigates disputes unique to the government contracting industry, including bid protests, Contract Disputes Act (CDA) claims, and patent infringement actions under 28 U.S.C. 1498. He also counsels and represents government contractors on a variety of issues that pose particular challenges in the government contracting industry, including cost allowability matters, intellectual property rights, contract claims and disputes, compliance programs, and internal investigations. He supports clients offering a broad range of products and services—from cloud computing and unmanned aerial systems to base operations support and other professional services—to a variety of defense, intelligence, and civilian agencies. Gary also maintains an active pro bono practice. A certified Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt, Gary also uses the LLSI process and project management tools to continually improve the value proposition the firm delivers to its clients.
- Regularly litigates bid protests before the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO), the U.S. Court of Federal Claims (COFC), and on appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (CAFC), including nearly 100 protests in the last five years.
- Litigates contract disputes before the Boards of Contract Appeals and the COFC. Notable published decisions include Sparton DeLeon Springs, LLC, ASBCA No. 60416 (Dec. 28, 2016) (granting summary judgment based on the Contract Disputes Act’s statute of limitations in an appeal of a government claim demanding repayment of direct costs and rejecting the Government’s argument that its right to audit under the Allowable Cost and Payment clause effectively tolls the CDA’s six-year statute of limitations).
- Advises clients regarding cost allowability issues and compliance with Cost Accounting Standards (CAS), including for example, allocation and adjustment of pension costs, home office expenses, and other indirect costs, in the course of audits by the Defense Contract Audit Agency and other agency Offices of Inspector General, litigation before the Boards of Contract Appeals, and in Bid Protests before GAO.
- Assists clients in negotiating intellectual property rights in federal, state, and local procurements.
- Assists clients in preparing, negotiating, and litigating requests for equitable adjustments and certified claims as well as defending against affirmative government claims.
- Advises government contractors in negotiation of teaming and subcontracting agreements and represents clients in prime-subcontractor disputes.
- Conducts internal investigations relating to a range of compliance issues including issues unique to government contractors.
- Counsels clients in the development of government contracts ethics and corporate compliance programs, including programs to prevent or mitigate organizational conflicts of interests (OCIs).
- Conducts due diligence for government contractors to assess risks unique to companies with federal, state, and local contracts and subcontracts.
- Counsels clients in obtaining information and protecting their own proprietary and confidential information under the Freedom of Information Act (Act) and other similar state public records laws.
- Intern, U.S. General Services Administration (GSA), Office of Governmentwide Acquisition Policy (2013)
- Judicial Intern, The Honorable Eric T. Washington, District of Columbia Court of Appeals (2012)
- Intern, The District of Columbia Office of Contracting & Procurement, Procurement Leadership Program (2011)
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of Public Contract Law
- Accounting, Cost, and Pricing Committee
- Bid Protest Committee
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
J.D., with highest honors, The George Washington University Law School; Raymond F. Hossfeld Dean's Scholarship
B.A., magna cum laude, University of California, San Diego
Associate, The George Washington University Law Review
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Fourth and Federal Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt
Related News & Insights
- AlertIntellectual Property Lessons from the Government Contracting Industry May Take Center Stage During the COVID-19 EmergencyScott A. Felder, Gary S. Ward, Alexander B. OwczarczakApril 3, 2020
- NewsletterThe Year of the Supplemental ProtestGovernment Contracts Issue UpdateFebruary 2020
- Press ReleaseWiley Rein Represents “Juvenile Lifers” in Challenging Constitutionality of Maryland Statute That Grants Governor Boundless Discretion in Parole DecisionsJune 28, 2018
- AlertFAR Council Proposes to Implement Narrowed Definition of “Adequate Price Competition” for DOD, NASA, and the Coast GuardCraig Smith, Gary S. WardJune 14, 2018