Gary counsels and represents insurers in complex disputes arising under professional liability policies and general liability policies in a variety of contexts at the trial and appellate court levels.
- Regularly counsels clients on a variety of professional liability coverage issues, including the application of policy provisions in the bankruptcy context.
- Extensive experience providing counseling and in litigating claims under first-party policies and general liability policies in the environmental, product liability, and other contexts.
- Serves as monitoring counsel in connection with numerous securities matters and novel professional liability exposures analyzing underlying matters and advising regarding liability and settlement.
- Obtained summary judgment in a pair of cases for a lawyers professional liability insurer concerning the application of "related claims" provisions to multiple underlying claims.
- Reviews and drafts policy forms and endorsements for an array of general liability and professional liability coverages.
- Commercial general liability and commercial property underwriter for small business risks (1995-1996)
- Recognized by Law360 as a "Rising Star" in Insurance (2012)
- Named by The Legal 500 US a "recommended lawyer" in Insurance Law (2013, 2019)
J.D., magna cum laude, Washington and Lee University School of Law; Order of the Coif
A.B., magna cum laude, Harvard University
- Law Clerk for the Honorable Ellsworth A. Van Graafeiland, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit (2000-2001)
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Related News & Insights
- Press ReleaseLegal 500 US Recognizes 37 Wiley Rein Lawyers Across Six Practice Areas NationallyRand L. Allen, Stephanie M. Bell, Timothy C. Brightbill, Jon W. Burd, Caleb P. Burns, Ralph J. Caccia, Shawn H. Chang, Robert E. DeFrancesco, III, Scott D. Delacourt, Laura El-Sabaawi, Claire J. Evans, Henry Gola, Anna M. Gomez, Ambassador David A. Gross, Jennifer D. Hindin, Christopher S. Huther, Paul F. Khoury, Kathleen A. Kirby, Samantha S. Lee, Kevin J. Maynard, Scott M. McCaleb, Ari Meltzer, Kimberly M. Melvin, Nick Peterson, Daniel B. Pickard, John R. Prairie, Alan H. Price, Jessica N. Rosenthal, Gary P. Seligman, Richard A. Simpson, Craig Smith, Daniel J. Standish, Mark B. Sweet, Roderick L. Thomas, David H. Topol, Tara L. Ward, Richard E. WileyJune 3, 2019
- EventA Common Interest in Cooperation: How to Protect Privilege and Policy Benefits When Reporting to Liability InsurersABA 2018 Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE SeminarGary P. SeligmanMarch 3, 2018
- Press ReleaseWiley Rein Recognizes 19 Individuals in Fifth Annual Pro Bono Program CelebrationMary E. Borja, Kathryn Bucher, Edgar Class, Madeline J. Cohen, Ashley L. Criss, Theodore A. Howard, Charles C. Lemley, Bennett L. Ross, Kathleen E. Scott, Gary P. Seligman, Peter D. Shields, Richard A. Simpson, Gary S. Ward, Tara L. Ward, Wesley E. WeeksNovember 7, 2017
- ArticleVa. District Court Shelters Insurers From Prior ActsLaw360Gary P. SeligmanJuly 18, 2016