Gary counsels and represents insurers in complex disputes arising under professional liability policies and general liability policies in a variety of contexts at the trial and appellate court levels.
- Regularly counsels clients on a variety of professional liability coverage issues, including the application of policy provisions in the bankruptcy context.
- Extensive experience providing counseling and in litigating claims under first-party policies and general liability policies in the environmental, product liability, and other contexts.
- Serves as monitoring counsel in connection with numerous securities matters and novel professional liability exposures analyzing underlying matters and advising regarding liability and settlement.
- Obtained summary judgment in a pair of cases for a lawyers professional liability insurer concerning the application of "related claims" provisions to multiple underlying claims.
- Reviews and drafts policy forms and endorsements for an array of general liability and professional liability coverages.
- Commercial general liability and commercial property underwriter for small business risks (1995-1996)
- Recognized by Law360 as a "Rising Star" in Insurance (2012)
- Recognized by The Legal 500 US in Insurance Law (2013, 2019-2021)
J.D., magna cum laude, Washington and Lee University School of Law; Order of the Coif
A.B., magna cum laude, Harvard University
- Law Clerk for the Honorable Ellsworth A. Van Graafeiland, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit (2000-2001)
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Related News & Insights
- EventPublic Sector Sexual Abuse ClaimsPublic Risk Management Association (PRIMA)June 8, 2022
- Press ReleaseLegal 500 US Recognizes 44 Wiley Lawyers Across Seven Practice Areas NationallyJune 11, 2021
- Press ReleaseLegal 500 US Recognizes 41 Wiley Lawyers Across Seven Practice Areas NationallyJune 11, 2020
- Press ReleaseLegal 500 US Recognizes 37 Wiley Rein Lawyers Across Six Practice Areas NationallyJune 3, 2019