Dan advises financial institutions, government contractors, software vendors, and other clients on the acquisition, protection, and commercialization of software and other technology assets. Dan is a member of the firm's Management Committee.
- Drafts original equipment manufacturer (OEM), Value Added Reseller, and other distribution agreements for software, patented inventions, and other technology.
- Counsels clients on structuring and pursuing their rights under outsourcing agreements, including service level agreements.
- Advises clients on the licensing of technology to federal, state, and local governments.
- Advises clients on venture formation and structure, debt and equity funding, mergers and acquisitions, and strategic alliances. Experienced in acquisition of tangible and intangible technology assets in workouts and bankruptcy.
- Counsels clients on online license arrangements, including the impact of the Uniform Computer Information Transactions Act and negotiates and drafts web development and hosting agreements.
- Handles acquisitions and joint ventures among international parties, strategic alliances, domestic and international financings, and general corporate counseling.
- Negotiates "Buy-Sell" arrangements and minority shareholder and investor rights for privately held ventures.
- Handles domain name disputes, Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, and Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Computer Law Association
- Co-Chair, Northern Virginia Technology Council (NVTC), Information Technology and Telecommunications Committee
- Greater Washington Board of Trade, Technology Task Force
J.D., University of Texas School of Law
B.S., cum laude, Providence College
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
Related News & Insights
- AlertWiley Privacy Practice Recap – April 2020Rachel A. Alexander, Thomas W. Antonucci, Sara M. Baxenberg, Todd A. Bromberg, Megan L. Brown, Shawn H. Chang, Matthew J. Gardner, Boyd Garriott, Daniel B. Hassett, Peter S. Hyun, Olaoluwaposi O. Oshinowo, Dorthula H. Powell-Woodson, Duane C. Pozza, Antonio J. Reynolds, Jessica N. Rosenthal, Kevin G. Rupy, Kathleen E. Scott, Joan Stewart, Joshua S. Turner, Martha G. VázquezApril 2020
- Press ReleaseWiley Launches Coronavirus Task Force to Help Clients With Emerging IssuesMarch 26, 2020
- AlertForce Majeure Provisions and COVID-19Daniel B. Hassett, Thomas W. Antonucci, Jessica N. Rosenthal, Richard W. Smith, Elizabeth J. Cavanaugh, Grace Caroline MahanMarch 25, 2020
- AlertCOVID-19: Important Legal Issues For U.S. Businesses To ConsiderDaniel B. Hassett, Jessica N. Rosenthal, Rebecca L. Saitta, Elizabeth J. Cavanaugh, Grace Caroline MahanMarch 20, 2020