Dan advises financial institutions, government contractors, software vendors, and other clients on the acquisition, protection, and commercialization of software and other technology assets. Dan is a member of the firm's Management Committee.
- Drafts original equipment manufacturer (OEM), Value Added Reseller, and other distribution agreements for software, patented inventions, and other technology.
- Counsels clients on structuring and pursuing their rights under outsourcing agreements, including service level agreements.
- Advises clients on the licensing of technology to federal, state, and local governments.
- Advises clients on venture formation and structure, debt and equity funding, mergers and acquisitions, and strategic alliances. Experienced in acquisition of tangible and intangible technology assets in workouts and bankruptcy.
- Counsels clients on online license arrangements, including the impact of the Uniform Computer Information Transactions Act and negotiates and drafts web development and hosting agreements.
- Handles acquisitions and joint ventures among international parties, strategic alliances, domestic and international financings, and general corporate counseling.
- Negotiates "Buy-Sell" arrangements and minority shareholder and investor rights for privately held ventures.
- Handles domain name disputes, Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, and Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act.
- Advise specialty chemical manufacture clients (pesticides/fungicides) on various supply, distribution, tolling and joint venture agreements.
- Advise specialty chemical manufacture clients on the acquisition or sale of assets or business lines and/or stock.
- Advise multiple clients in the review of due diligence and the submission of bids for an auction/ 363 sale of EPA registrations, supply and distribution agreement, inventory and associated assets from a bankruptcy estate.
- Advise specialty chemical companies on their termination or breach rights under supply or distribution agreements, including take or pay, minimum purchase, price protection and indemnity rights.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Computer Law Association
- Co-Chair, Northern Virginia Technology Council (NVTC), Information Technology and Telecommunications Committee
- Greater Washington Board of Trade, Technology Task Force
J.D., University of Texas School of Law
B.S., cum laude, Providence College
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
Related News & Insights
- PodcastTeeming with Teaming Agreements: Navigating Strategic Alliances in the Federal MarketplaceWiley Government ContractsDaniel B. HassettJuly 12, 2021
- Press ReleaseWiley Launches Coronavirus Task Force to Help Clients With Emerging IssuesMarch 26, 2020
- AlertForce Majeure Provisions and COVID-19Daniel B. Hassett, Thomas W. Antonucci, Jessica N. Rosenthal, Richard W. Smith, Elizabeth J. CavanaughMarch 25, 2020
- AlertCOVID-19: Important Legal Issues For U.S. Businesses To ConsiderDaniel B. Hassett, Jessica N. Rosenthal, Rebecca L. Saitta, Elizabeth J. CavanaughMarch 20, 2020