Companies that do business in California must contend with that state’s complex privacy laws.
- The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) went into effect in January 2020 and is currently being enforced by the California Attorney General. Compliance raises a number of questions for companies across industries.
- In November 2020, California voters approved a ballot initiative – the California Privacy Rights and Enforcement Act (CPRA) – that will significantly change privacy obligations for entities, as well as the regulatory approach to privacy in California.
We help companies comply with the CCPA and prepare to transition compliance approaches for when the CPRA goes into effect. This includes managing risks related to privacy obligations and thinking strategically about company data governance in light of multiple and ever-evolving legal landscapes. We provide practical and solutions-based advice, integrated with our deep knowledge of the CCPA and other privacy laws nationwide.
We advise clients from startups to large corporations, and across sectors including technology, telecommunications, and media; insurance; financial services; health care; advertising and marketing; and many more.
Depending on the client’s needs, we advise on both full-scale compliance and targeted questions. Our capabilities include:
- Reviewing and negotiating vendor agreements
- Compliance training
- Managing consumer requests
- Managing approaches to employee and B2B data
- Strategic advice on data governance questions
- Managing risks related to potential investigations and enforcement
- Developing advocacy strategies and approaches to upcoming rulemakings
Our team of attorneys brings depth and breadth of experience to dealing with this challenging, unclear, and constantly shifting law, drawing on multidisciplinary backgrounds. Subscribe to our mailing list, as we often release new webinars, event information, and alerts regarding the latest developments and practical tips on how to navigate complex compliance obligations in this evolving legal landscape.
- Artificial Intelligence
- Connected & Autonomous Vehicles
- Cyber Insurance
- GDPR and Global Privacy
- Privacy Investigations and Enforcement
- The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and the California Consumer Privacy Rights and Enforcement Act (CPRA)
- Transactional Support and Due Diligence on Privacy and Cybersecurity
Related News & Insights
- EventCalifornia Privacy Rights Act – What Does It Mean For You?February 2, 2021Duane C. Pozza, Kathleen E. Scott, Joan Stewart
- AlertMore Modifications to the CCPA Regulations Proposed as California Readies to Launch New CPRA Rulemaking ActivityDecember 11, 2020Megan L. Brown, Duane C. Pozza, Antonio J. Reynolds, Joan Stewart, Kathleen E. Scott
- NewsletterCalifornia Votes ‘Yes’ on the California Privacy Rights and Enforcement Act of 2020Privacy In FocusNovember 2020Joan Stewart, Kathleen E. Scott
- AlertCalifornia AG Proposes Additional Changes to CCPA Regulations; Seeks CommentOctober 13, 2020Megan L. Brown, Duane C. Pozza, Antonio J. Reynolds, Joan Stewart, Kathleen E. Scott