Tessa represents clients in a variety of international trade matters, including antidumping and countervailing duty proceedings, anti-money laundering, and compliance matters. Tessa routinely counsels clients on the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA). She co-authored the firm’s FARA Issues Handbook and routinely advises clients on registration obligations and requirements under FARA.
- Provides guidance on economic sanctions administered by the U.S. Department of Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and on the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA).
- Represents clients in trade litigation before the Department of Commerce, the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC), and the Court of International Trade.
- Counsels clients on Defense Security Services (DSS) matters, including Foreign Ownership, Control, or Influence (FOCI) mitigation.
- Counsels clients on anti-money laundering (AML) laws and regulations and the development of AML compliance programs.
- Research Assistant, Professor Jane Winn, University of Washington School of Law (2007-2008)
- Judicial Extern, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (2007)
- Law Clerk, U.S. Attorney's Office for the Western District of Washington (Summer 2006)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Association of Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialists (ACAMS), U.S. Capital Chapter
- Legal Counsel for the Elderly, Young Lawyers Advisory Council
- Steering Committee, District of Columbia Bar, International Law Section
- The Association of Women in International Trade
- Recognized by Law360 as a "Rising Star" in International Trade Law (2019)
J.D., University of Washington School of Law
B.A., magna cum laude, University of Washington
Articles and Comments Editor, Pacific Rim Law and Policy Journal
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Bar
Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS)
Advanced Certified Sanctions Compliance Specialist (ACAMS)
Know Your Customer-Customer Due Diligence-Intermediate (ACAMS)
Related News & Insights
- Press ReleaseWiley Rein Helps Secure Favorable Federal Circuit Ruling in Solar Panel Import Case, Upholding Customs’ Authority to Enforce Tariffs Prior to Scope InquiriesTimothy C. Brightbill, Tessa Capeloto, Laura El-Sabaawi, Maureen E. ThorsonJanuary 8, 2020
- AlertRepresentatives Ken Buck and Ro Khanna Introduce Legislation to Modernize FARA FilingsDaniel B. Pickard, Tessa CapelotoNovember 19, 2019
- NewsletterRepresentatives Ken Buck and Ro Khanna Introduce Legislation to Modernize FARA FilingsElection Law NewsTessa Capeloto, Daniel B. PickardNovember 2019
- Press ReleaseWiley Rein’s Tessa Capeloto Profiled by Law360 as ‘Rising Star’Tessa CapelotoOctober 21, 2019