Tessa represents clients in a variety of international trade matters, including antidumping and countervailing duty proceedings, anti-money laundering, and compliance matters. Tessa routinely counsels clients on the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA). She co-authored the firm’s FARA Issues Handbook and routinely advises clients on registration obligations and requirements under FARA.
- Provides guidance on economic sanctions administered by the U.S. Department of Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and on the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA).
- Represents clients in trade litigation before the Department of Commerce, the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC), and the Court of International Trade.
- Counsels clients on Defense Counterintelligence and Security Agency (DCSA, formerly DSS) matters, including Foreign Ownership, Control, or Influence (FOCI) mitigation.
- Counsels clients on anti-money laundering (AML) laws and regulations and the development of AML compliance programs.
- Research Assistant, Professor Jane Winn, University of Washington School of Law (2007-2008)
- Judicial Extern, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (2007)
- Law Clerk, U.S. Attorney's Office for the Western District of Washington (Summer 2006)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Association of Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialists (ACAMS), U.S. Capital Chapter
- Legal Counsel for the Elderly, Young Lawyers Advisory Council
- Steering Committee, District of Columbia Bar, International Law Section (2018-2020)
- The Association of Women in International Trade
- Association of Women in the Metal Industries – AWMI and Customs
- Customs and International Trade Bar Association (CITBA)
- Recognized by Law360 as a "Rising Star" in International Trade Law (2019)
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America directory for International Trade and Finance Law (2023-2024)
J.D., University of Washington School of Law
B.A., magna cum laude, University of Washington
Articles and Comments Editor, Pacific Rim Law and Policy Journal
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Bar
Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS)
Advanced Certified Sanctions Compliance Specialist (ACAMS)
Know Your Customer-Customer Due Diligence-Intermediate (ACAMS)
Related News & Insights
- EventA Complete Primer on FARA and the eFile System: Essential Takeaways on Key Definitions, Requirements and Compliance Program ComponentsACI 5th National Forum on FARADecember 1, 2023
- ArticleKey Takeaways From DOJ's Recent FARA Advisory OpinionsLaw360Tessa CapelotoNovember 27, 2023
- AlertDOJ Issues Several New FARA Advisory Opinions on Registration Triggers and ExemptionsTessa CapelotoOctober 26, 2023
- AlertSenator Menendez Faces Additional Federal Charges of Acting as a Foreign Agent for the Egyptian Government in Superseding IndictmentTessa CapelotoOctober 13, 2023