Stephen has a wide range of experience litigating complex disputes before federal and state courts and administrative agencies and in arbitration. He has represented clients in both individual and class action cases involving commercial and government contract disputes, the False Claims Act (FCA), the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO), the Federal Election Campaign Act (FECA), procurement fraud, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), business torts, and the Administrative Procedure Act (APA). He also has experience conducting internal investigations for corporate clients in response to government allegations of misconduct, including investigations of pharmaceutical clients involving Medicare and Medicaid government price reporting for pharmaceutical products. Stephen previously served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the civil section in the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Successfully defended multiple clients in FCA procurement fraud cases brought by relators and the U.S. Department of Justice seeking hundreds of millions of dollars in damages.
- Successfully defended multiple clients in high-profile civil RICO cases worth millions of dollars in damages.
- Successfully defended multiple political organizations in a variety of matters, including cases involving alleged FECA violations.
- Successfully defended a government contractor in a multimillion-dollar class action arbitration involving wage claims by fire and rescue employees used during the Iraq War.
- Conducted internal investigation for large international generic pharmaceutical company relating to its Medicaid and Medicare government price reporting for pharmaceutical products.
- Successfully defended a government contractor in a class action TCPA suit.
- Successfully defended a large international telecommunications company in a complex contract action involving internet peering agreements.
- Successfully represented the owners of small government contractors in buyout disputes and mediation.
- Represent trade associations in commercial disputes and complex litigations.
- Represent public interest groups and other clients seeking to vindicate important constitutional interests, including First and Second Amendment interests, before federal appellate courts and the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia (2010-2013)
- Represented the United States and federal agencies in a variety of civil matters, including FCA, APA, Federal Tort Claims Act, Title VII, and Bivens matters
- Successfully defended against class action certification in a Title VII suit against the U.S. Marshals Service
- Successfully defended the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in multiple APA suits
- Obtained a favorable settlement following an investigation of an FCA procurement fraud suit involving a federal intelligence agency
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of Public Contract Law
- Procurement Fraud Committee
- Named by The Legal 500 US a "recommended lawyer" in Appellate Law (2020)
J.D., Vanderbilt Law School; Order of the Coif
A.B., cum laude, Princeton University
Managing Editor, Vanderbilt Law Review
- Law Clerk for the Honorable Karen LeCraft Henderson, U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit (2006-2007)
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Pennsylvania Bar
- Virginia Bar
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Fourth, Seventh, Federal, and District of Columbia Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia and Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of International Trade
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Related News & Insights
- EventFederal Consumer Protection Priorities in 2021: Reading the Tea LeavesWileyDecember 8, 2020
- ArticleCFPB Published Final Rule on Debt Collection PracticesNational Creditors Bar AssociationStephen J. Obermeier, Duane C. Pozza, Stephen J. ConleyNovember 19, 2020
- Press ReleaseWiley Recognizes More Than 40 Individuals in Eighth Annual Pro Bono Program CelebrationNovember 3, 2020
- AlertATF Interpretive Change Restricts Handgun Imports and May Require NFA RegistrationMegan L. Brown, Stephen J. Obermeier, Jeremy J. Broggi, Michael D. Faucette, Boyd GarriottOctober 23, 2020