Scott advises clients on developing and implementing regulatory strategies, and represents them before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and Federal Trade Commission (FTC). He has a broad range of experience in transactions; FTC/FCC investigations and enforcement; and wireless, telecom, and data privacy/security. Scott is chair of Wiley’s Wireless Practice Group.
- Advises large and small companies in the wireless space on regulatory issues, spectrum policy and allocation matters, advocacy, and compliance and helps to create and execute strategies to attain their business objectives.
- Experience with all aspects of FTC investigations, including Civil Investigative Demand response; Field Office, Bureau, and Commission-level advocacy and negotiations; settlement and litigation options; and coordination of multi-forum settlements.
- Significant experience in handling wireless and telecom transactions. Previously served as the lead FCC official responsible for reviewing several billion dollar wireless transactions, including the Sprint/Nextel, Cingular/AT&T Wireless, and ALLTEL/Western Wireless mergers.
- Advises regarding emerging regulation applicable to broadband connected devices/Internet of Things (IoT), including connected/autonomous vehicles and connected health devices.
- Significant expertise in data privacy/security issues, particularly concerning collection and use of consumer data in marketing and advertising.
- Regularly counsels carriers and manufacturers regarding disability access requirements.
- Deputy Bureau Chief (2004-2005) and Chief of Staff (2003-2004), Federal Communications Commission, Wireless Telecommunications Bureau
- Senior Counsel, Office of General Counsel (2002-2003) and Legal Advisor to the Wireless Bureau Chief (2001-2002), Federal Communications Commission
- Adjunct Professor of Communications, The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, Institute for Communications Law Studies (2006-2007). Scott has lectured on communications law topics at Princeton University, George Washington University Law School, and the National Digital Policy Institute at Ball State University.
- American Bar Association (ABA), Administrative Law & Regulatory Practice Section
- Co-Chair, Communications Committee (2006-2014)
- Co-Chair, Spring Regulatory Conference (April 2009)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- Co-Chair, FCBA/PLI Annual Institute on Telecommunications Policy & Regulation (2015-Present)
- Served continuously in leadership positions since 1999, including on the Executive Committee, as Trustee & Secretary of the Foundation, and as a Co-Chair of the Wireless, Enforcement and Privacy Committees
- The Federalist Society
- Executive Committee, Telecommunications & Electronic Media Practice Group (2003-Present)
- Chair, University of Michigan Law Alumni Chapter (2011-Present)
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America directory for Communications Law (2020-2021)
- Named by The Legal 500 US a “recommended lawyer” in Telecom and Broadcast Regulatory Law (2017-2019)
- Named by Law360 as a Telecommunications MVP (2015, 2018)
- Received 2015 Burton Award for Distinguished Legal Writing
J.D., cum laude, University of Michigan Law School
B.A., summa cum laude, Georgetown University; Phi Beta Kappa
Articles Editor, Michigan Technology and Telecommunications Law Review
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Michigan Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
Related News & Insights
- Press Release31 Wiley Attorneys Recognized Across 17 Practice Areas in 2022 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®August 19, 2021
- AlertSupreme Court Curbs FTC Power to Seek Monetary ReliefDuane C. Pozza, Megan L. Brown, Scott D. Delacourt, Thomas M. Johnson, Jr., Kathleen E. ScottApril 22, 2021
- AlertFCC Issues Waiver for In-Cabin Vehicle Radar in 60 GHz BandScott D. Delacourt, David E. Hilliard, Stephen J. Conley, Madeleine M. Lottenbach, Tawanna D. LeeApril 20, 2021
- EventCourthouse Steps Decision Teleforum: Facebook v. DuguidThe Federalist SocietyApril 12, 2021