Rob is a former Chief Counsel and Staff Director of the Senate and House ethics committees and a former federal prosecutor, with extensive trial, investigative, and advisory experience. He counsels a wide range of clients on congressional and other government ethics rules, lobbying rules and compliance, congressional investigations, and white collar defense matters. Rob regularly represents corporations, associations, and individuals – including congressional officials, other government officials, and candidates – in federal and state ethics advisory and investigative matters (including in connection with financial disclosure obligations), in internal investigations, and in prosecutions arising under campaign finance, fraud, public corruption, and other criminal laws.
- Advises federal officeholders, political candidates and committees, corporations and other organizations, and private individuals on all aspects of political law, including government ethics, lobbying law compliance, and campaign finance, including all aspects of the Honest Leadership and Open Government Act of 2007 (HLOGA), the Lobbying Disclosure Act (LDA), and congressional and executive branch ethics rules.
- In ethics investigative matters, represented U.S. Senators and staff, Members and staff of the U.S. House of Representatives, corporations and associations, and private individuals, in sensitive investigations by the Senate Select Committee on Ethics, the House Committee on Ethics, and the Office of Congressional Ethics (OCE).
- In congressional investigations, represented numerous corporations, associations, and individuals before a broad range of committees and subcommittees of the U.S. House and Senate, including in responding to detailed requests for information and documents and in preparing corporate representatives and other individuals for informal interviews, formal depositions, and congressional testimony.
- Represented corporations and individuals – as witnesses, subjects, and targets -- in grand jury investigations and criminal proceedings, including in responding to subpoenas for documents and testimony.
- Represented organizations and individuals in federal and state campaign finance investigations and enforcement matters.
- Represented federal officials and candidates in public financial disclosure compliance matters before the Office of Government Ethics (OGE) and the House and Senate ethics committees.
- Counsels corporate and association clients on state gift, lobbying, and campaign finance requirements.
- Consults on compliance programs, and conducts legal compliance audits and internal investigations, in connection with campaign, government ethics, and lobbying activities.
- Chief Counsel and Staff Director, Select Committee on Ethics, U.S. Senate (2003-2008). Bipartisan hire
- Counseled Senators and staff on compliance with ethics rules, regulations, and statutes, including those mandated by the HLOGA
- Served as lead counsel in all Committee investigations of misconduct
- Directed the annual financial disclosure process applicable to all Senators, candidates, and staff
- Chief Counsel and Staff Director, Committee on Standards of Official Conduct, U.S. House of Representatives (now the Committee on Ethics) (1999-2003). Bipartisan hire
- Developed ethics and advisory program for the House and directed its implementation
- Developed investigatory strategy regarding allegations of misconduct, supervised investigations and disciplinary process
- Counsel, Select Committee on Ethics, U.S. Senate (1997-1999)
- Trial Attorney, Public Integrity Section, U.S. Department of Justice, Criminal Division (1995-1997)
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia (1989-1995)
- Staff Attorney, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Division of Enforcement (1987-1989)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Section of Administrative Law and Regulatory Practice
- Section of Criminal Justice
- Assistant United States Attorneys’ Association for the District of Columbia
- District of Columbia Bar (D.C. Bar)
- Section of Administrative Law and Agency Practice
- Section of Criminal Law and Individual Rights
- D.C. Bar Board on Professional Responsibility
- Member of the Board (2019-Present)
- Chair (2014-2019) and Member (2013-2019), Hearing Committee
- The Council on Governmental Ethics Laws (COGEL)
- Public Affairs Council (PAC)
- Public Integrity Section Alumni Association
- State Government Affairs Council (SGAC)
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" (2018-2021) and a "Recognized Practitioner" (2017) in Political Law
- Named one of Washington's "Best Lawyers" by Washingtonian magazine (2011)
J.D., University of Pennsylvania Law School
M.A., Stanford University
B.A., cum laude, University of Pennsylvania
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
Related News & Insights
- PodcastStaying Compliant: Ensure that your Company is Prepared to Comply with the Lobbying Disclosure ActPolitical Law PodcastCarol A. Laham, Robert L. WalkerJuly 6, 2021
- PodcastPractical Considerations in Managing the Risk of Employing Former Government EmployeesRichard B. O'Keeffe, Jr., Scott A. Felder, Robert L. WalkerMay 21, 2021
- Press ReleaseChambers USA Recognizes 35 Wiley Attorneys Across 10 Practice Areas as Among Best in the CountryMay 20, 2021
- NewsletterPlaying with (PAC) Matches: Nevada Man Burned, Pleads Guilty After Fraudulent Promises in SolicitationsElection Law NewsMay 2021