Rick has more than 24 years of experience in U.S. national security legal and public policy matters in both the public and private sectors, working closely with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the National Intelligence Council, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), the National Security Council, the Executive Office of the President, and the U.S. Departments of Treasury, Defense, Homeland Security, State, Commerce, and Energy, as well as other agencies evaluating foreign investment-related issues. He represents clients in matters involving U.S. national security issues, cross-border transactions, and government investigations. Prior to joining Wiley, Rick was the Director of the Foreign Investment Review Staff (FIRS) for the National Security Division (NSD) at the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), where he oversaw the DOJ’s participation in the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), including the review of over 1,000 acquisitions and efforts to prohibit multiple transactions on national security grounds. He also served as Chair of Team Telecom, which evaluates certain applications before the FCC to determine whether they raise law enforcement or national security concerns.
- Provides counsel on structuring, negotiating, and documenting transactions to address national security regulatory issues and agreements.
- Represents domestic and international companies in national security reviews before CFIUS and Team Telecom.
- Represents clients in enforcement and regulatory proceedings before the DOJ.
- Assists clients in identifying and strategically addressing complex national security policy and legal gaps that may impact their business.
- Represents clients in classified proceedings and court orders authorizing covert electronic surveillance and physical searches in national security investigations.
- Director, U.S. Department of Justice, National Security Division, Foreign Investment Review Staff (2008-2018)
- Attorney, U.S. Department of Justice, National Security Division, Office of Intelligence Policy and Review (2003-2008)
- Trial Attorney, U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Division, Civil Fraud Section (1998-2003)
- Attorney Advisor, U.S. Department of the Air Force, Office of the Deputy General Counsel (1995-1998)
- Attorney Advisor, U.S. Department of Defense, Defense Logistics Agency, Office of the Deputy General Counsel (1995-1998)
- Received Assistant Attorney General’s Award for National Security (2018)
- Received Attorney General’s Award for Exceptional Service (2011)
- Received Intelligence Community Legal Award (2011)
- Recognized by the National Counterintelligence Executive for Intelligence Community Excellence (2010)
- Received Meritorious Unit Citation from the Director of National Intelligence (2008)
- Received Assistant Attorney General’s Award (2008)
- Recognized by the Director of the FBI for Outstanding Legal Assistance (2007)
- Recognized by the Director of the FBI for Exceptional Service in the Public Interest (2005)
- Recognized by the Director of the FBI for Outstanding Legal Assistance (2004)
J.D., Hofstra University School of Law
B.A., Harvard University
Bar and Court Memberships
- *Not a member of the District of Columbia Bar (Admitted only in Maryland. U.S. Government practice only)
- Maryland Bar
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Related News & Insights
- AlertTreasury Finalizes Significant Expansion of Foreign Investment RulesJanuary 17, 2020
- AlertCommerce Publishes Proposed Rules Implementing Communications Supply Chain Executive OrderNovember 26, 2019
- Media MentionRichard Sofield Discusses CFIUS Review of Chinese-Owned Social Media AppNovember 5, 2019
- EventCFIUS and Team Telecom UpdatesOctober 16, 2019