Richard assists clients before the federal Executive agencies and independent federal agencies on a variety of issues including trade remedies, customs compliance, entry and clearance of goods into the U.S., and other related matters. As a licensed U.S. Customs Broker, he has particular experience with issues including tariff classification, rules of origin, country of origin marking rules, the free trade area (FTA) and special program preferences, the Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism (C-TPAT) regulations, and post-entry procedures. Richard has provided guidance in a broad range of industries including ferrous and non-ferrous primary metal goods, fabricated metal goods, automotive components, paper products, electronics and semiconductor devices, food products, perishable agricultural products, and renewable energy products.
- Assists clients proceeding before the U.S. Department of Commerce (DOC) and the U.S. International Trade Commission (USITC) in conjunction with investigations pursuant to Title VII of the Tariff Act of 1930, and Section 201 of the Trade Act of 1974.
- Assists clients proceeding before the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) relating to pre- and post-entry processes for the importation of commodity goods.
- Consults with clients on classification of goods on the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (HTSUS).
- Assists clients proceeding before the CBP and the USITC in tariff-related matters involving customs classification letter rulings, country of origin rulings, and statistical tariff breakouts.
- Assists clients proceeding before foreign trade tribunals including the Canadian International Trade Tribunal (CITT).
- Steel Identification, Classification, and Trade Law Seminar
- Director (2016)
- Lecturer (2009-Present)
- Lecturer, International Law Institute (2007-Present)
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of International Law
- Washington Custom Brokers Freight Forwarders Association
B.A., Washington and Lee University
Licensed U.S. Customs Broker
Related News & Insights
- EventSteel Identification, Classification and Trade LawApril 13 – 14, 2016
- EventSteel Identification, Classification and Trade LawFebruary 24, 2016
- EventSteel Identification, Classification and Trade LawJuly 29 – July 30, 2015
- EventSteel Identification, Classification and Trade LawJune 24 – June 25, 2015