Michael represents corporate and individual clients in a broad spectrum of appellate and complex commercial litigation matters in state and federal court from the earliest stages of litigation through appeal. His practice has focused on matters of constitutional law, administrative law, statutory interpretation, and contract. Michael has successfully briefed high-profile legal issues before trial courts, intermediate appellate courts, and the U.S. Supreme Court. He also maintains a robust pro bono practice representing individuals, small businesses, and nonprofits.
- Drafted U.S. Supreme Court merits or certiorari-stage briefs on behalf of defense contractor in statutory-interpretation case; energy company in Takings Clause case; automobile company in retirement-plan case; and energy company in administrative-law case.
- Drafted U.S. Supreme Court amicus briefs in administrative law, Fourth Amendment, statutory interpretation, and retirement-plan cases.
- Represented energy company before D.C. Circuit in administrative-law case; technology company before Second Circuit in statutory-interpretation dispute; pharmaceutical company before Third Circuit in contract dispute; software company before Third Circuit opposing class certification in statutory action; poultry producers before Seventh Circuit opposing class certification in antitrust action; finance company before Eleventh Circuit in tort and contract dispute; and airline company before Eleventh Circuit in administrative-law case.
- Managed litigation in Florida and New York state courts on behalf of ore-mining company to enforce international arbitration award and recover fraudulently transferred property.
- In federal district court, represented technology company in constitutional challenge to state worker-classification statute; energy company in tort suit; NBA arena in tort suit; energy company in contract dispute; and technology company to compel arbitration in employment dispute.
- Represented pro bono a judge in First Amendment case; physician association in administrative-law case; PPE producer at onset of Covid pandemic; and individual defendant in criminal appeal.
- Board Member, Federalist Society D.C. Young Lawyers Chapter
- American Capitalism Seminar (The Public Interest Fellowship)
- Antonin Scalia Fellowship (The Public Interest Fellowship)
- Aquinas Fellowship (Catholic University)
- Leonine Forum
- Originalism Summer Seminar (Georgetown University)
J.D., Yale Law School
B.A., University of Michigan
Yale Law Journal
- Honorable Dabney L. Friedrich, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia (2018)
- Honorable Diane S. Sykes, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit (2016-2017)
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
Related News & Insights
- Press ReleaseWiley Files Amicus Brief Supporting Challenge to SEC Share-Repurchase RuleJuly 24, 2023
- Media MentionEx-SEC Officials Tell 5th Circ. To Vacate SEC Buyback RuleLaw360July 19, 2023
- Press ReleaseWiley Files Supreme Court Amicus Brief in Case Involving Statute of Limitations for APA ClaimsMay 22, 2023
- Press ReleaseBank Directors Turn to Wiley for Amicus Brief Urging Supreme Court Review of Banking Regulation CaseMarch 14, 2023