Martha is a sought-out legal and policy advisor on matters where technological advancement, environmental protection, and governance intersect. Her clients are solving today’s major environmental security issues including climate change, PFAS contamination, and ocean plastics. Martha frequently consults on chemical control under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), as well as initiatives that advance bio-based, sustainable products. She advises on projects to improve the global plastic recycling infrastructure, including Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Letters of No Objection (LNOs) for food packaging uses. Martha serves on the Environmental Law Institute’s (ELI) Board of Directors and was recognized as one of the nation's top “Energy & Environmental Trailblazers” by The National Law Journal (2018).
- Crafted language during the legislative process that updated TSCA on preemption, Section 8 reporting, and sustainable chemistry.
- Regularly assists manufacturers of genetically modified yeast, algae, bacteria, and plant-based products in addressing rules on notification, taxonomy, transport, and chemical identity.
- Among the first attorneys to help carbon nanotube and nanocellulose manufacturers obtain approval for their innovations under TSCA.
- U.S. Delegate, International Standards Organization (ISO), Committee on Nanotechnologies (2005-2013)
- Chair, Working Group 1 Nomenclature and Terminology, U.S. Technical Advisory Group
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Co-Chair, Special Committee on Congressional Relations
- Past Chair, Pesticide, Chemical Regulation and Right-to-Know Committee, Section of Environment, Energy and Resources
- Environmental Law Institute
- Board Member
- Executive Committee Member
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in Environment (2020)
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Next Generation Leadership and Service Award
- Recognized as one of the nation's top Energy & Environmental Trailblazers by The National Law Journal (2018)
J.D., Catholic University of America
B.S., University of Vermont
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Supreme Court of the United States
Related News & Insights
- EventUSDA Part 330 − What’s Next for Microbes and Microalgae Platforms?January 2021
- PodcastIntroduction to the Bioeconomy: An Interview with Stephanie Batchelor of BIOWiley PodcastsMartha E. MarrapeseDecember 2020
- Media MentionMartha Marrapese’s Blog Post Featured in Coverage of Revised Risk Evaluation DraftInside EPA's Inside TSCADecember 4, 2020
- Blog PostU.S. Brands Importing Finished Goods to the European Union – Are You Ready for the January 5, 2021, submission deadline for SCIP?The WELLMartha E. MarrapeseDecember 3, 2020