Martha has earned a global reputation for her work with companies with industrial biotechnology and nanotechnology platforms. She is a recognized authority on chemical regulation and premanufacture approval under the evolving Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA). Her involvement in the federal policy process regularly brings her before Congress and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) on behalf of companies, consortia, and trade associations.
- Crafted language during the legislative process that updated TSCA on preemption, Section 8 reporting, and sustainable chemistry.
- Regularly assists manufacturers of genetically modified yeast, algae, bacteria, and plant-based products in addressing rules on notification, taxonomy, transport, and chemical identity.
- Among the first attorneys to help carbon nanotube and nanocellulose manufacturers obtain approval for their innovations under TSCA.
- U.S. Delegate, International Standards Organization (ISO), Committee on Nanotechnologies (2005-2013)
- Chair, Working Group 1 Nomenclature and Terminology, U.S. Technical Advisory Group
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Co-Chair, Special Committee on Congressional Relations
- Past Chair, Pesticide, Chemical Regulation and Right-to-Know Committee, Section of Environment, Energy and Resources
- Environmental Law Institute
- Board Member
- Executive Committee Member
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Next Generation Leadership and Service Award
- Recognized as one of the nation's top Energy & Environmental Trailblazers by The National Law Journal (2018)
J.D., Catholic University of America
B.S., University of Vermont
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Supreme Court of the United States
Related News & Insights
- EventFood Contact Regulations USA 2020Chemical WatchMarch 10, 2020
- AlertEPA’s Preliminary Lists of Manufacturers Subject to Fee Obligations for TSCA Risk Evaluations: What You Need to KnowErik C. Baptist, Martha E. MarrapeseJanuary 31, 2020
- Blog PostShould 90 Day New Chemical Reviews Take Their Place with the Dinosaurs under TSCA?The WELLMartha E. MarrapeseJanuary 21, 2020
- Media MentionErik Baptist, Martha Marrapese Discuss Upcoming TSCA Lawsuits in 2020Bloomberg EnvironmentJanuary 10, 2020