Lukman is an appellate and trial litigator. He has represented individuals and corporations in various federal appellate courts in disparate matters such as bankruptcy, the False Claims Act, civil Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO), Article III standing, and separation of powers. Lukman has been the principal drafter of multiple appellate briefs in several federal courts of appeal and at both the certiorari and merits stages at the U.S. Supreme Court. He has an active international arbitration practice, having represented West African and North American corporations in disputes before the International Chamber of Commerce International Court of Arbitration. Lukman speaks or reads, with varying degrees of proficiency, English, French, Italian, and Yoruba and frequently works with lawyers in foreign jurisdictions.
- Successfully defended foreign sovereign in a multidistrict litigation before the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Represented consulting firm in a case involving the reasonable interpretation of Rule 2014 of the Bankruptcy Code before a federal bankruptcy court, district court, and court of appeals, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Successfully defended individuals in a U.S. Department of Justice criminal investigation involving price-fixing in the international freight shipping industry.
- Associate, Private law practice (2016-2019)
- Law Clerk, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (2014-2016)
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America directory of “Ones to Watch” for Appellate Law (2021)
J.D., Yale Law School
M.B.A., Yale School of Management
B.A., Highest Distinction, University of Michigan
Executive Editor, Yale Journal of Law and Technology
Editor, Yale Law and Policy Review
Editor, Yale Journal on Regulation
- Law Clerk for the Honorable Evan J. Wallach, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (2014-2016)
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal, First, and Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
Related News & Insights
- Press ReleaseWiley Recognizes More Than 40 Individuals in Eighth Annual Pro Bono Program CelebrationNovember 3, 2020
- Press Release28 Wiley Attorneys Recognized Across 17 Practice Areas in 2021 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®August 20, 2020
- Press ReleaseWiley Files Supreme Court Amicus Brief Supporting Petition Asking the Court to Apply Title VII Racial Discrimination Protection to Military ServicemembersAugust 17, 2020
- EventEffectively Pivoting in the Face of New RealitiesCapital Area Muslim Bar Association (CAMBA)June 20, 2020