Lukman is a trial and appellate litigator. He has represented individuals and corporations in various trial and federal appellate courts in disparate matters such as bankruptcy, the False Claims Act, civil Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO), Article III standing, and separation of powers. He also represents managed care plans in various legal disputes and litigates administrative appeals for health care entities before the Departmental Appeals Board at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Lukman has been the principal drafter of multiple appellate briefs in several federal courts of appeal and at both the certiorari and merits stages at the U.S. Supreme Court. He has an active international arbitration practice, having represented West African and North American corporations in disputes before the International Chamber of Commerce International Court of Arbitration. Lukman speaks or reads, with varying degrees of proficiency, English, French, Italian, and Yoruba and frequently works with lawyers in foreign jurisdictions.
- Successfully defended foreign sovereign in a multidistrict litigation before the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Represented consulting firm in a case involving the reasonable interpretation of Rule 2014 of the Bankruptcy Code before a federal bankruptcy court, district court, and court of appeals, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Successfully defended individuals in a U.S. Department of Justice criminal investigation involving price-fixing in the international freight shipping industry.
- Associate, Private law practice (2016-2019)
- Law Clerk, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (2014-2016)
- President, Capital Area Muslim Bar Association (CAMBA) (2021-Present)
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America directory of “Ones to Watch” for Appellate Law (2021), Appellate Practice (2023), Commercial Litigation (2023), and Criminal Defense: White Collar (2023)
J.D., Yale Law School
M.B.A., Yale School of Management
B.A., Highest Distinction, University of Michigan
Executive Editor, Yale Journal of Law and Technology
Editor, Yale Law and Policy Review
Editor, Yale Journal on Regulation
- Law Clerk for the Honorable Evan J. Wallach, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (2014-2016)
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal, First, and Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
Related News & Insights
- Press ReleaseWiley Partner Scott Felder Honored with ROA ‘Twice the Citizen Award’October 31, 2022
- Press ReleaseWiley Represents Constitutional Law Scholars in Amicus Brief in Appeal Addressing State StatuteAugust 25, 2022
- Press Release54 Wiley Attorneys Recognized in 2023 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®August 18, 2022
- Press ReleaseSCOTUS Decision Supports Veterans’ Rights to Sue States for Employment DiscriminationJune 30, 2022