Kevin’s practice focuses on securities fraud, defense procurement fraud, health care fraud, and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) matters. As a former Assistant Chief in the Fraud Section of the Criminal Division of the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and Senior Counsel in the Enforcement Division of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Kevin has a unique experience he brings to defending complex, and often overlapping, civil and criminal enforcement investigations. He relies on his extensive prosecutorial experience to develop innovative investigative and trial strategies.
- Representing executives of multiple NYSE listed companies in parallel DOJ and SEC insider trading investigations.
- Representing physician in DOJ and U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) Office of Inspector General health care fraud and off label marketing investigation.
- Defending executive in DOJ and SEC pharmaceuticals industry insider trading investigation.
- Representing medical device manufacturer in complex investigation concerning allegations of off label promotion.
- Representing bitcoin-based trading platform in SEC/CFTC suits and related DOJ forfeiture action.
- Advising cryptocurrency-based securities and commodities trading platforms on Anti-Money Laundering “Know Your Customer” rules.
- Defended CFO of large government contractor in DOJ, U.S. Department of Transportation, U.S. Department of Labor, and U.S. Postal Service criminal investigation.
- Representing law firm in parallel SEC and DOJ municipal bond investigation.
- Representing individual in DOJ FCPA investigation involving South American entities.
- Representing individual in joint DOJ and SEC FCPA investigation involving Mexican entity.
- Representing individual in SEC EB-5 investigation.
- Representing individual in U.S. Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of Virginia criminal investigation of government contractor for alleged violations of the Berry Amendment and Small Business Set Aside regulations.
- Represented individual whose multi-million dollar painting was subject to seizure in DOJ asset forfeiture proceeding.
- Represented Board members of charitable organizations in domestic and international DOJ and Office of Inspector General Investigations.
- Routinely investigated and prosecuted cases at DOJ and SEC involving securities fraud, bribery and public corruption, accounting fraud, benchmark rate fixing, insider trading, bank fraud, procurement fraud, compliance with grant rules and regulations, the FCPA, and money laundering.
- Coordinated national and international fraud investigations and prosecutions with domestic and international regulators, U.S. Attorney’s Offices, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the U.S. Postal Inspection Service, and various Inspectors General.
- Obtained convictions in numerous multi-week jury trials in federal district courts across the country. Successfully briefed and argued cases in appellate courts.
- Prior to government service, represented clients in private practice in complex litigation involving white collar, RICO, fraud, government contracts, and construction disputes.
- Defended Political Action Committee (PAC) founder in Southern District of New York criminal investigation.
- Adjunct Professor, Complex Securities Investigations, Georgetown University Law Center (2015-Present)
- U.S. Department of Justice, Criminal Division, Fraud Section, Securities and Financial Fraud Unit
- Assistant Chief (2013-2016)
- Trial Attorney (2010-2013)
- Special Assistant United States Attorney, U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia (2010-2013)
- Senior Counsel, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Enforcement Division (2004-2010)
- Litigation Associate, DC and London offices of large DC-based law firm (2000-2004)
- Advisory Board Member, Anti-Corruption & Anti-Money Laundering Law Student Association, Georgetown University Law Center (2016)
- American Bar Association, Criminal Justice Section, White Collar Crime Committee
- International Association of Independent Corporate Monitors (IAICM)
- Edward Bennett Williams Inn of Court
- The Virginia Bar Association (VBA)
- Criminal Law Section
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (2019-2020)
- Named to Law360's Securities Editorial Advisory Board (2018, 2019, 2020)
- Named to Law360's White Collar Advisory Board (2020)
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for Criminal Defense: White Collar by Super Lawyers magazine (2020)
J.D., William & Mary Law School
B.A., University of Virginia
- Law Clerk for the Honorable John M. Facciola, U.S. Magistrate Judge, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia (1999-2000)
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York Bar
- Virginia Bar
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth and Tenth Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia, District of Vermont, Eastern District of Virginia, Southern District of New York, and Western District of Virginia
Related News & Insights
- EventCybersecurity and Global CompliancePLI: Compliance & Ethics Essentials 2020June 29, 2020
- Media MentionPODCAST: Kevin Muhlendorf Discusses Risk of Corruption in 5G Telecom ImplementationTRACE Podcast: Bribe, Swindle or StealMay 4, 2020
- Press ReleaseSeven Wiley Partners Appointed to Law360’s 2020 Editorial Advisory BoardsApril 28, 2020
- Press ReleaseChambers USA Recognizes 30 Wiley Attorneys Across 9 Practice Areas as Among Best in the CountryApril 23, 2020