Kate has significant, in-depth experience advocating before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) on behalf of radio and TV broadcasters and satellite operators. Kate develops regulatory strategy for, and provides counsel to, broadcasters on a wide range of issues, including indecency; sweepstakes, contests, and online gambling; lottery, tobacco, and alcohol advertising; political advertising; ownership and attribution rules; Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO); closed captioning; and children’s programming. Kate also advises broadcasters on day-to-day regulatory issues as well as transactional matters, including assignments and transfers of control.
Kate advocates before the FCC on behalf of satellite operators and other clients pursuing new and innovative uses of spectrum. Kate also provides expert advice regarding compliance with existing rules (including space and earth station licensing, modifications, and related regulations), experimental licenses, and waivers of FCC rules.
Additionally, Kate has substantial experience advising clients on Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulatory issues. In that capacity, her representation includes working with in-house marketing, regulatory compliance, and legal teams to manage the creative clearance review process. Kate also assists with internal assessments relating to corporate governance and enterprise risk management.
Kate also advises clients on trademark clearance and use issues, including risk analysis and counseling.
- Represented Nexstar Media Group in obtaining FCC approval for its $7.2 billion acquisition of Tribune Media Company, creating the country’s largest local television broadcaster and media company.
- Developed regulatory and advocacy strategies for satellite operators in the FCC’s multi-year proceeding to reallocate C-band spectrum for 5G use.
- Regularly authors written comments, petitions, and other pleadings in complex proceedings before the FCC; routinely meets with FCC staff to advocate on behalf of clients.
- Advocates on behalf of broadcast and satellite clients in a variety of rulemaking proceedings, including those related to spectrum reallocation.
- Counsels media clients on issues related to programming and advertising content, including broadcast and social media contests; lottery, tobacco, and alcohol advertising; indecency; political advertising; closed captioning; and children’s programming.
- Advises commercial and non-commercial broadcast station licensees and media investors on a wide range of FCC regulatory compliance matters, including initial licensing, facilities modifications, assignments and transfers, ownership and attribution rules, EEO, and sponsorship identification.
- Counsels non-commercial broadcasters on underwriting, fundraising, and contests.
- Represents clients in FCC enforcement actions; assists clients in responding to FCC inquiries and notices of violation as well as viewer complaints.
- Assists broadcast and corporate clients with mergers and acquisitions and related transactional matters, including due diligence and contract drafting.
- Advises clients on the use of efficacy and health benefit claims, “green” marketing, social media, and consumer, celebrity, and expert endorsements.
- Reviews advertisements and marketing materials for compliance with relevant FTC regulations and to ensure claims are properly substantiated.
- Develops and executes strategies for selecting, protecting, and enforcing trademarks, including advising clients on trade dress infringement issues and rendering viability opinions.
- Research Assistant, Professor Vicki Jackson, Georgetown University Law Center (Summer 2006)
- Paralegal Specialist, U.S. Department of Justice, Criminal Division, Domestic Security Section (2003-2005)
- Legal Intern, U.S. Department of Justice, Criminal Division, Office of International Affairs (Summer 2002)
- Women's Bar Association (WBA)
- Co-Chair, Communications Law Forum (2016-Present)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- Co-Chair, Mass Media Committee (2017-Present)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
J.D., cum laude, Georgetown University Law Center
B.S.F.S., summa cum laude, Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, Georgetown University
Senior Articles Editor, Georgetown Immigration Law Journal
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Bar
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
Related News & Insights
- Press ReleaseWiley Advises Venture Technologies Group and VCY America in Strategic TransactionsNovember 17, 2023
- AlertNCE Broadcaster Fined $9K for Issues/Programs Report ViolationsKathryne C. Dickerson, Stephanie RigizadehNovember 7, 2023
- AlertFCC Fines Broadcaster $25K for EEO ViolationsKathryne C. Dickerson, Meredith G. Singer, Joan StewartOctober 26, 2023
- Press ReleaseWiley Represents VCY America in Acquisition of Wilmington, DE Radio Station from Beasley MediaOctober 11, 2023