Kate's practice encompasses a variety of FCC and FTC regulatory matters as well as corporate matters. She counsels broadcast TV and radio clients on a wide array of issues, such as programming content, including indecency and broadcast and social media contests; lottery, tobacco, and alcohol advertising; political advertising; assignments and transfers; ownership and attribution rules; Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO); closed captioning; and children's programming. Kate also counsels clients, including top international retailers, on advertising-related issues, including those arising under the FTC Act and Lanham Act. In that capacity, she works with in-house marketing, brand management, regulatory compliance, and legal teams to manage the creative clearance review process. In addition, she assists clients with contract drafting and negotiation, contract interpretation issues, mergers and acquisitions, and M&A-related regulatory and transactional matters.
- Represented Nexstar Media Group in obtaining FCC approval for its $7.2 billion acquisition of Tribune Media Company, creating the country’s largest local television broadcaster and media company.
- Counsels media clients on issues related to programming and advertising content, including broadcast and social media contests; lottery, tobacco, and alcohol advertising; indecency; political advertising; closed captioning; and children's programming.
- Advises commercial and non-commercial broadcast station licensees and media investors on a wide range of Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulatory compliance matters, including initial licensing, facilities modifications, assignments and transfers, ownership and attribution rules, EEO, and sponsorship identification.
- Assists clients in responding to FCC inquiries and notices of violation as well as viewer complaints.
- Advises clients on the use of efficacy and health benefit claims, “green” marketing, social media, and consumer, celebrity, and expert endorsements.
- Counsels clients on Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and state Attorney General investigations, consumer class action defense, Lanham Act defense and prosecution, and initiating and responding to self-regulatory challenges before the National Advertising Division (NAD).
- Reviews advertisements and marketing materials for compliance with relevant regulations and to ensure claims are properly substantiated.
- Develops and executes strategies for selecting, protecting, and enforcing trademarks, including advising clients on trade dress infringement issues and rendering viability opinions.
- Assists clients with contract drafting and negotiations and counsels clients on contract interpretation issues.
- Assists broadcast and corporate clients with mergers and acquisitions and related transactional matters, including due diligence and contract drafting.
- Assists clients in federal and state employment law matters, including advising executive clients and companies on separation agreements, non-competition, non-solicitation, and confidentiality provisions.
- Drafts employment agreements, employee handbooks, and independent contractor agreements.
- Co-authored book chapter regarding an employer's ability to regulate the off-duty online/social media conduct of its employees.
- Active pro bono practice.
- Research Assistant, Professor Vicki Jackson, Georgetown University Law Center (Summer 2006)
- Paralegal Specialist, U.S. Department of Justice, Criminal Division, Domestic Security Section (2003-2005)
- Legal Intern, U.S. Department of Justice, Criminal Division, Office of International Affairs (Summer 2002)
- Women's Bar Association (WBA)
- Co-Chair, Communications Law Forum (2016-Present)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- Co-Chair, Mass Media Committee (2017-Present)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
J.D., cum laude, Georgetown University Law Center
B.S.F.S., summa cum laude, Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, Georgetown University
Senior Articles Editor, Georgetown Immigration Law Journal
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Bar
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
Related News & Insights
- Press ReleaseWiley Rein Announces Partner and Of Counsel Promotions for 2020December 3, 2019
- AlertMost FCC KidVid Rule Changes Become Effective on September 16, 2019Kathleen A. Kirby, Joan Stewart, Kathryne C. DickersonAugust 26, 2019
- Media MentionInsideRadio Features Kate Dickerson’s Blog on Legal Issues for Stations Offering ‘Bonus Entries’InsideRadioAugust 16, 2019
- Blog PostBonus Entries—With Extra Chances to Win Comes Extra RiskWileyonMediaKathryne C. DickersonAugust 2, 2019