Joe represents clients in connection with complex coverage issues and disputes arising under various types of professional liability and general liability insurance policies. As a litigator, he has extensive experience representing companies in navigating business challenges and delivering practical solutions. Joe has litigated a wide range of cases, including business torts and contract disputes in the automotive and insurance sectors.
- Litigates insurance coverage disputes in federal and state courts.
- Provides strategic advice and risk assessment to insurers on a variety of complex coverage issues, including applicability of various policy exclusions and conditions.
- Secured summary judgment for insurer in breach of contract dispute with former executives regarding benefit program.
- Analyzed proposed legislation and regulations relevant to the insurance industry arising out of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Opposed motion to enforce subpoena served on insurer seeking highly sensitive materials in high-profile sports litigation and coordinated limited document production.
- Coordinated analysis of French court materials in advance of successful mediation in dispute seeking recoupment of insurance coverage for foreign proceedings.
- Represented insurer in dispute regarding coverage of certain consultants in connection with a U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) investigation.
- Represented insurer in dispute regarding coverage for defense costs associated with response to subpoenas and civil investigative demands.
- Implemented successful litigation strategy for largest alcoholic beverage distributor realignment in U.S. history, including filing 56 declaratory judgment actions in state and federal courts.
- Won complete victory for fire apparatus manufacturer on summary judgment in suit alleging breach of contract and business torts.
- Represented low-income tenants, pro bono, in landlord-tenant court.
- Private law practice (2013-2020)
- Judicial Intern, the Honorable Reggie B. Walton, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia (2013)
- Law Clerk, U.S. Department of Justice, Federal Tort Claims Act Section (2011)
- Political communications and lobbying (2008-2010)
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America directory of “Ones to Watch” for Insurance Law (2022)
J.D., magna cum laude, American University Washington College of Law, Order of the Coif
B.A., University of Pennsylvania
Senior Articles Editor, American University Law Review
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
Related News & Insights
- Press Release31 Wiley Attorneys Recognized Across 17 Practice Areas in 2022 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®August 19, 2021
- Blog PostD&O Policy’s Pollution Exclusion Bars Coverage For Claim Arising from Alleged Conspiracy to Submit Fraudulent Regulatory FilingsWiley Executive SummaryJoseph W. GrossJuly 14, 2021
- NewsletterCommon-Law Claims Associated with Unsolicited Faxes Held to be “Arising Out of” Violation of the TCPAExecutive SummaryMay 2021
- Blog PostCommon-Law Claims Associated with Unsolicited Faxes Held to be “Arising Out of” Violation of the TCPAWiley Executive SummaryJoseph W. GrossMay 4, 2021