Joe represents clients in connection with complex coverage issues and disputes arising under various types of professional liability and general liability insurance policies. As a litigator, he has extensive experience representing companies in navigating business challenges and delivering practical solutions. Joe has litigated a wide range of cases, including business torts and contract disputes in the automotive and insurance sectors.
- Litigates insurance coverage disputes in federal and state courts.
- Provides strategic advice and risk assessment to insurers on a variety of complex coverage issues, including applicability of various policy exclusions and conditions.
- Secured summary judgment for insurer in breach of contract dispute with former executives regarding benefit program.
- Analyzed proposed legislation and regulations relevant to the insurance industry arising out of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Opposed motion to enforce subpoena served on insurer seeking highly sensitive materials in high-profile sports litigation and coordinated limited document production.
- Coordinated analysis of French court materials in advance of successful mediation in dispute seeking recoupment of insurance coverage for foreign proceedings.
- Represented insurer in dispute regarding coverage of certain consultants in connection with a U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) investigation.
- Represented insurer in dispute regarding coverage for defense costs associated with response to subpoenas and civil investigative demands.
- Implemented successful litigation strategy for largest alcoholic beverage distributor realignment in U.S. history, including filing 56 declaratory judgment actions in state and federal courts.
- Won complete victory for fire apparatus manufacturer on summary judgment in suit alleging breach of contract and business torts.
- Represented low-income tenants, pro bono, in landlord-tenant court.
- Private law practice (2013-2020)
- Judicial Intern, the Honorable Reggie B. Walton, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia (2013)
- Law Clerk, U.S. Department of Justice, Federal Tort Claims Act Section (2011)
- Political communications and lobbying (2008-2010)
J.D., magna cum laude, American University Washington College of Law, Order of the Coif
B.A., University of Pennsylvania
Senior Articles Editor, American University Law Review
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
Related News & Insights
- NewsletterCommon-Law Claims Associated with Unsolicited Faxes Held to be “Arising Out of” Violation of the TCPAExecutive SummaryMay 2021
- Blog PostCommon-Law Claims Associated with Unsolicited Faxes Held to be “Arising Out of” Violation of the TCPAWiley Executive SummaryJoseph W. GrossMay 4, 2021
- NewsletterDelaware Supreme Court Applies Delaware Law in D&O Coverage Dispute Involving California Company Incorporated in DelawareExecutive SummaryApril 2021
- Blog PostDelaware Supreme Court Applies Delaware Law in D&O Coverage Dispute Involving California Company Incorporated in DelawareWiley Executive SummaryJoseph W. GrossMarch 9, 2021