Joan focuses on regulatory compliance, privacy issues, and data governance counseling for a diverse group of clients, including those in the media, telecommunications, and technology sectors. She provides clients with clear and business-focused guidance.
Joan advises clients on compliance with international, federal, and state privacy laws and best practices. She counsels large and small businesses on strategies to implement data governance plans that comply with stringent privacy laws including the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), California Privacy Rights Act (CPRA) and the General Data Protection Act (GDPR). She works closely with clients to evaluate data flows, and advise clients on the applicability of various laws to their business practices. She advises clients on compliant cross-border data transfer mechanisms, including the use of standard contractual clauses and assists clients in developing policies – internal- and external-facing – that clearly communicate their privacy practices.
Joan also has significant experience advising broadcast clients on compliance with the Federal Communication Commission’s (FCC) rules and regulations governing station operations, including political advertising, children’s programming, closed captioning and other accessibility rules, Emergency Alert Systems (EAS), recruitment and hiring (EEO), facility modifications, and public file obligations. She also works closely with broadcast clients seeking to grow their business through acquisitions or downsize through strategic divestitures.
- Counsels clients on compliance with data privacy issues, including creating privacy policies and crafting best practices programs.
- Provides guidance to clients on compliance with Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulations including the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), promotions and contests including sweepstakes, and promotions with user-generated content.
- Advises clients on compliance with complex privacy regulations, including the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and the California Privacy Rights Act (CPRA).
- Counsels clients on compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- Represents broadcast clients before the FCC on a wide variety of regulatory matters including spectrum auctions, facility modifications, licensing, and rulemakings.
- Provides guidance to broadcast clients on compliance with FCC rules, including political advertising, recruitment and hiring, closed captioning, and contests and promotions.
- Negotiates agreements for complex broadcast transactions, including purchase and sale agreements, local marketing agreements, and option agreements.
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- CIPP/E Certified
- The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and the California Consumer Privacy Rights and Enforcement Act (CPRA)
J.D., American University Washington College of Law
B.A., George Mason University
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
CIPP/E Certification, International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
Related News & Insights
- EventShifting U.S. Privacy Regulation: New State Laws Complicate Compliance EffortsWiley and Simmons & SimmonsSeptember 27, 2021
- AlertCalifornia’s New Privacy Agency Kicks Off the New CPRA Rulemaking ProcessDuane C. Pozza, Megan L. Brown, Antonio J. Reynolds, Joan Stewart, Kathleen E. Scott, Tawanna D. LeeSeptember 24, 2021
- AlertOctober Radio License Renewal and Announcements Reminder: AK, AS, GU, HI, MP, OR, and WAKathleen A. Kirby, Joan Stewart, Stephen J. ConleySeptember 13, 2021
- AlertOctober Television License Renewal and Announcements Reminder: IA and MOKathleen A. Kirby, Joan Stewart, Stephen J. ConleySeptember 13, 2021