Joan focuses on regulatory compliance, privacy issues, and data governance counseling for a diverse group of clients, including those in the media, telecommunications, and technology sectors. She provides clients with clear and business-focused guidance.
Joan advises clients on compliance with international, federal, and state privacy laws and best practices. She counsels large and small businesses on strategies to implement data governance plans that comply with stringent privacy laws including the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and the General Data Protection Act (GDPR). She works closely with systems engineers and business units within organizations to evaluate data flows and advise clients on the applicability of various laws to their business practices. She assists clients in developing policies – internal- and external-facing – that clearly communicate their privacy practices.
Joan also has significant experience advising broadcast clients on compliance with the Federal Communication Commission’s (FCC) rules and regulations governing day-to-day station operations, including political advertising, children’s programming, closed captioning and other accessibility rules, Emergency Alert Systems (EAS), recruitment and hiring (EEO), facility modifications, and public file obligations. She also works closely with broadcast clients seeking to grow their business through acquisitions or downsize through strategic divestitures.
- Counsels clients on compliance with data privacy issues, including creating privacy policies and crafting best practices programs.
- Provides guidance to clients on compliance with Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulations including the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), promotions and contests including sweepstakes, and promotions with user-generated content.
- Advises clients on compliance with complex privacy regulations, including the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- Represents broadcast clients before the FCC on a wide variety of regulatory matters including spectrum auctions, facility modifications, licensing, and rulemakings.
- Provides guidance to broadcast clients on compliance with FCC rules, including political advertising, recruitment and hiring, closed captioning, and contests and promotions.
- Negotiates agreements for complex broadcast transactions, including purchase and sale agreements, local marketing agreements, and option agreements.
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- CIPP/E Certified
J.D., American University Washington College of Law
B.A., George Mason University
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
CIPP/E Certification, International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
Related News & Insights
- AlertCalifornia AG Modifies Draft CCPA Regulations — What Do They Mean for Compliance?Megan L. Brown, Duane C. Pozza, Antonio J. Reynolds, Kathleen E. Scott, Joan StewartFebruary 10, 2020
- NewsletterPrivacy Shield: On Borrowed Time? How to Prepare for Disruptions in EU-US Data Transfer RulesPrivacy In FocusFebruary 2020
- NewsletterCalifornia AG Modifies Draft CCPA Regulations — What Do They Mean for Compliance?Privacy In FocusFebruary 2020
- AlertFCC’s Media Bureau will Host a Webinar to Explain Changes to the KidVid Report FormJoan Stewart, Stephen J. ConleyJanuary 9, 2020