Joan focuses on privacy, data governance and regulatory compliance counseling for a diverse group of clients, including those in the media, telecommunications, and technology sectors. She provides clients with clear and business-focused guidance on complex legal and regulatory issues.
Joan assists her clients with creating and monitoring global privacy compliance programs. She counsels large and small businesses on strategies to implement data governance plans that comply with privacy laws including the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), California Privacy Rights Act (CPRA), the Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act (VCDPA) and the General Data Protection Act (GDPR). She works closely with clients to evaluate data flows, then assesses the legal risks and obligations of various laws to their business practices. Joan advises clients on implementing and updating privacy policies and procedures, data protection impact assessments (DPIAs), compliant data transfer mechanisms, vendor management and contracting, compliance training and M&A due diligence.
Joan has significant experience advising broadcast clients on compliance with the Federal Communication Commission’s (FCC) rules and regulations governing day-to-day station operations, including political advertising, children’s programming, closed captioning and other accessibility rules, Emergency Alert Systems (EAS), recruitment and hiring (EEO) and public file obligations. She also works closely with broadcast clients seeking to grow their business through acquisitions or downsize through strategic divestitures.
- Counsels clients on compliance with U.S. privacy rules and regulations, including California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and the California Privacy Rights Act (CPRA), and Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act (VCDPA).
- Provides guidance to clients on compliance with Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulations including the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), promotions and contests including sweepstakes, and promotions with user-generated content.
- Counsels clients on compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), including Data Protection Impact Assessments (DPIAs) and data transfer mechanisms.
- Advises clients on creating and maintaining a privacy compliance program, implementing, and updating privacy policies and procedures, vendor management and contracting, and compliance training.
- Conducts M&A due diligence.
- Represents broadcast clients before the FCC on a wide variety of regulatory matters including spectrum auctions, facility modifications, licensing, and rulemakings.
- Provides guidance to broadcast clients on compliance with FCC rules, including political advertising, recruitment and hiring (EEO), closed captioning, and EAS.
- Negotiates agreements for complex broadcast transactions, including purchase and sale agreements, local marketing agreements, and option agreements.
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- CIPP/E Certified
- Recognized by The Legal 500 US in Telecom and Broadcast: Transactional (2022)
J.D., American University Washington College of Law
B.A., George Mason University
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
CIPP/E Certification, International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
Related News & Insights
- AlertFCC Proposes Expansion of Audio Description RequirementsKathleen A. Kirby, Joan StewartMarch 24, 2023
- Blog PostState Privacy Update: A New Omnibus Privacy Law Passes in Iowa, Colorado Finalizes Privacy RulesWiley ConnectDuane C. Pozza, Kathleen E. Scott, Joan Stewart, Scott BouboulisMarch 17, 2023
- AlertApril 3, 2023 FCC EEO Deadlines for Stations in IN, KY, TN, TX, DE, PAKathleen A. Kirby, Joan StewartMarch 13, 2023
- AlertApril Television License Renewal and Announcements Reminder: DE & PAKathleen A. Kirby, Joan Stewart, Stephen J. ConleyMarch 13, 2023