Eve represents broadcast and other communications clients on a host of regulatory and transactional matters before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and in litigation before federal appellate courts.
- Represented Nexstar Broadcasting Inc. as petitioner before the Supreme Court of the United States, obtaining unanimous reversal of Third Circuit decision that had blocked FCC media ownership rule reforms.
- Represented Nexstar Media Group in obtaining FCC approval for its $7.2 billion acquisition of Tribune Media Company, creating the country’s largest local television broadcaster and media company.
- Represented J.P. Morgan on FCC matters associated with approximately $10 billion of financing transactions in connection with the acquisition of 21 regional sports networks and Fox College Sports by a subsidiary of Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., from The Walt Disney Company.
- Represented iHeartMedia, Inc., in its successful petition to obtain FCC approval to have up to 100% foreign ownership and on related FCC matters in connection with its Chapter 11 restructuring, which involved consolidated debts of more than $20 billion and was the largest restructuring of 2018.
- Represented Nexstar Media Group in obtaining FCC approval for its $4.6 billion acquisition of Media General, Inc.
- Represents major national broadcast and other communications companies in FCC rulemaking proceedings and in related litigation involving a broad range of issues affecting the communications industry, including media ownership, equal employment opportunities (EEO), the broadcast incentive auction, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), cable carriage, broadcast localism, and children’s television.
- Advises buyers, sellers, and investors on mergers and other transactions requiring FCC approval, including compliance with multiple ownership, attribution, and foreign ownership rules. Files foreign ownership petitions for declaratory ruling and coordinates related national security reviews, negotiates mitigation measures, and assists with mitigation compliance efforts.
- Advises communications companies and investors on FCC compliance and reporting requirements, with particular emphasis on media ownership, foreign ownership, indecency, TCPA, political broadcasting, sweepstakes and contests, and advertising issues.
- Represents major national broadcast and other communications companies in enforcement proceedings involving licensee control issues, sponsorship identification, indecency, and a variety of other matters before the FCC.
- Represented broadband Internet access providers in administrative and appellate proceedings concerning “net neutrality” regulation. Counsel for Verizon in its successful challenge to the FCC’s Open Internet rules before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit and in Brand X Internet Services v. FCC before the Ninth Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court. Represented Comcast in its successful appellate challenge to the FCC’s first “net neutrality” decision.
- Counsels clients on the FCC implications of bankruptcies, reorganizations and restructurings. Represented J.P. Morgan in FCC proceedings and FCC-related aspects of litigation stemming from the bankruptcy of Tribune Company.
- Develops strategies for securing FCC process reform and other regulatory changes.
- Represents major national corporations and trade associations in federal district court and appellate litigation regarding the regulatory authority of a variety of federal agencies, including the FCC, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), and the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS).
- American Bar Association (ABA), Forum on Communications Law
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- Women’s Bar Association (WBA) of the District of Columbia
- Recognized by The Legal 500 US in Appellate Law (2016-2018) and Telecom and Broadcast: Transactional (2018, 2020-2021)
- Received 2016 Burton Award for Distinguished Legal Writing for "The FCC’s Expanding Use of Delegated Authority and the Dilemma of Appellate Jurisdiction"
- Named one of DC’s "Super Lawyers" for Media/Advertising (2016-2020), for Communications (2014-2015), and "Rising Stars" for Communications (2013) by Super Lawyers magazine
J.D., with highest honors, The George Washington University Law School; Order of the Coif
B.A., magna cum laude, University of Maryland
Member, The George Washington Law Review
- Law Clerk for the Honorable Marvin J. Garbis, U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland (1999-2000)
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Bar
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Ninth, and District of Columbia Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the Districts of Maryland and the District of Columbia
Related News & Insights
- AlertFCC Announces Deadlines for Comments in Ongoing Quadrennial Review and Post-Prometheus Ownership Rules DateAri Meltzer, Eve Klindera ReedJuly 1, 2021
- Press ReleaseWiley Named a 2021 ‘Best Law Firm for Women’ by SeramountJune 22, 2021
- AlertNew Foreign Programming Sponsorship ID Rules Published in Federal Register; Compliance Obligations Await OMB ApprovalGregory L. Masters, Eve Klindera Reed, Kathryne C. DickersonJune 21, 2021
- AlertNationwide EAS Test on August 11, 2021Eve Klindera Reed, Ari Meltzer, Travis StollerJune 15, 2021