Emily represents professional liability insurers in coverage litigation before state and federal courts and arbitration tribunals nationwide. Emily also advises and serves as monitoring counsel for insurers in connection with directors and officers and other professional liability policies, as well as employment practices liability policies.
- Obtained an arbitration award following a five-day evidentiary hearing in November 2019 determining that a major corporation was not entitled to coverage under a directors and officers liability policy.
- Obtained affirmance by the Second Circuit that no coverage was available under a lawyers professional liability policy for a lawsuit seeking recovery of disputed legal fees because the relief sought did not constitute covered “damages” and the insured was not performing “legal services.” Continental Cas. Co. v. Parnoff, 2019 WL 6999867 (2d Cir. Dec. 20, 2019).
- Successfully represented cyber insurer before state insurance regulatory agency concerning prior knowledge exclusion, obtaining rulings in insurer’s favor on claims for breach of contract and bad faith.
- Represents insurers at all levels of complex coverage disputes, including mediation, trial, and appellate levels.
- Advises insurers on coverage in civil litigation matters, including securities and derivative actions, corporate litigation, lawsuits by government agencies, and bankruptcy and receivership actions.
- Filed several amicus curiae briefs on behalf of a pro bono client before the Supreme Court of the United States concerning Tenth Amendment, federalism, and Commerce Clause issues.
- E-Discovery Legal Intern, U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Division, Office of FOIA, Records, and E-Discovery (2014)
- Judicial Intern, The Honorable Marvin J. Garbis, U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland (2013)
- Public Policy Intern, The Constitution Project (2009-2010)
- Diversity Vice Chair, Professional Liability Insurance Committee, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, American Bar Association (ABA)
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
J.D., with honors, The George Washington University Law School
B.S.F.S., cum laude, Georgetown University
Managing Editor, The George Washington Law Review
Bar and Court Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the First and Second Circuits
Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt
Related News & Insights
- NewsletterInsurer Waived Right to Assert Policy Exclusion First Raised in Answer to Declaratory Judgment ComplaintExecutive SummaryOctober 2020
- NewsletterQuestion of Fact When “Claim” “First Made” Where Insured Allegedly Did Not Become Aware of Claim Until After Policy PeriodExecutive SummarySeptember 2020
- NewsletterNo Coverage for Related Claims Reported After Policy Period During Which Claim Was First MadeExecutive SummaryJuly 2020
- NewsletterClass Actions Comprising Different Class Periods Causally and Logically RelatedExecutive SummaryJune 2020